Clear All
  • Eduardo
    Moderator emeritus
    • Jun 2002

SongCatcher

Story - :25:
    Picture - :4:
    Audio - :4:

Plot: Story takes place in the early 1900s in the Appalachian Mountains of North Carolina. Dr. Lily Penleric, of Musicology, goes to visit her sister, Elna, after being passed up for full professorship at the college where she is teaching. She discovers that the folk music, of the 'mountain people', is derived from the same music of England, Scotland and Ireland from over 200 years prior. The story does not go into much detail of the history of the music. It continues with the trial and tribulations of people in the mountains, mainly the women.

I thought the movie would be more about the music and its history but it tends to focus on the feminist agenda. The video is clean and the colors of the natural surrounding are vibrant. The dialogue is all on the center channel and the surrounds are used to fill in the ambient outdoor noise.

I would recommend this move a rental.

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Haven't seen this one around.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Robbie
      • Aug 2000

I rented this a while back. I rented it because Iris Dement (one of my favorite female singers) was in it. I was a little disapointed in the film so I didn't consider buying it. You're right Eduardo, the lesbo thing was a little (make that a lot) over the top. This might have been a must buy for folk music lovers if not tor the underlying theme of the movie.

Robbie

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"