X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

SHOWTIME a little disappointing

Maybe I was expecting too much with the pairing of Eddie Murphy and Robert Deniro, but I felt letdown after viewing this one.

It's about two cops, Eddie ( a patrolman who wants to be an actor) and Deniro a dead seriious detective. When Deniro shoots out a tv reporter's video camera, the network has an opportunity to force the local police force to agree to a reality based cop show, starring Deniro, of course. Well, Eddie worms his way into the scheme of things and he and Deniro become partners, though reluctant ones on Deniro's part. The old partners who dislike each other at first and become friends later idea has been done to death, and this isn't a fresh breath either.
    I was expecting more humor from Deniro, who has shown he can do comedy, but it didn't happen ... at least for me. There is some subtle humor throughout, both from Deniro and Murphy, but nothing that made me laugh out loud.
    I'm not saying you shouldn't watch this if you're a Murphy and/or Deniro fan, but I do recommend a rental first. I erred and bought the dvd.
    :25:

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hmmm, George you and I tend to agree on most films but, not this time.

I thought showtime was pretty good. I found myself laughing more at DeNiro's expressions through out the film than Murphy's wit. I expected just the opposite. Feeling that Murphy would steal the show. I found the film to have more balance between the actors
    than I would have thought possible.

I do agree that the relucctant pairing but later best of buds thing is a little old too. I did however get past it (knowing it was coming) and enjoyed the film.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

It's darn near impossible for two people to agree every time, John. The main thing is you liked it and that is what's important. In my view, it really wasn't a bad film, I just expected more than I got from both Deniro and Murphy.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

In my view, it really wasn't a bad film, I just expected more than I got from both Deniro and Murphy.

This does tend to get our goat. I know many times over, I've expected a certain level of preformance from an actor, and felt as if I was slighted in the end. It can be dissapointing.

DeNiro can do comedy but, I never felt it was his stregnth (Look at Rocky & Bullwinkle)! Okay...that may have been a cheap shot! :LOL: He has done a much better job in a few others though.

Murphy on the other hand, has let me down on many more occasions :evil: Now, Murphy has no excuse to suck at what is suppose to be his niche, as much as he has. Every (most) actor goes through a dry spell here or there. Murphy seems to put out two or three bad ones back to back. Then he gets the one that seems to redeem his status for another three flops. I think he has four or five films that are timeless, Murphy at his best! But that's like 25% of what he's done...maybe less.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Yeah, John, you can excuse Deniro because he is more noted as a dramatic actor, but Murphy, we ll the last thing he did that really made me laugh was the voice-over the donkey in SHREK. Now that was funny. He has a new film coming out, I forget the name of it, so it will be interesting to see if he gets any laughs .

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

"The Adventures of Pluto Nash" I'm not expecting much from it after viewing the trailers.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"