X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

A Clockwork Orange

I just watched this film for the first time. It was praised from many as being Kubrick's greatest work. That is why I decided to view it.

As the film came to a close, I'm still not quite sure what to make of it. Now (for those that are old enough to remember) I enjoyed Soylent Green which is kinda out there like this. I also like 2001, so weird films are okay by me. This film just seemed extremely strange to me.

Maybe, now that I'm 40 and missed this film in it's prime, I too missed some of the message.

Does anyone else have an opinion of this? Would like to hear other's viewpoint.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

For me, this movie had several different messages in it. There's the one about parental apathy and lack of guidance leading to young adults not having any social conscience. There's the one about leadership positions leaving you open to betrayal and revolt. There's the one about governments experimenting with their citizens (no matter how badly they need experiminting with!), and finally there's the one about imposing artificial social controls on a person or group and the futility of that effort.

How's that for a start?

IMHO, like other Kubrick films, the visual and aural have to be experienced together. The upbeat soundtrack during the most violent of moments pushes the feelings of the surreal to the forefront.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chip
      • Aug 2001

I thought this was a post about A Clockwork Orange? 8O

Chip Engle

"Concrete ain't a spectator sport"

<a href="http://www.htguide.com/bilder/index.cfm?fuseaction=arkivbilder&userid=0&selected userid=336" target="_blank">My HT
      Chip Engle

My HT

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
        • Jan 2002

Gosh, I think I remember 24 years ago when my dad flipped the channel because he would not let me see TCO..... I was 16 and he thought I was too young to watch such. I think it was a few years old then. I have seen it since and thought it was interesting but not one of the better movies I've seen.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Now as far as liking it? Nope, not really. It's an interesting film, but not one that I really care about having in my collection.

- David -

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Pick whatever theme Tex offers;they're all there. Yeah, it is a strange one to be sure.

As for Soylent Green, that's one of my favorite sci-fi films.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

David,

Thanks for the input. All those msgs are there. I guess I was clouded by the over the top feel of the film, while looking for why this was hailed so well. Thus, missing the points of the movie all together.

I do know that despite the movie's issues, McDowell did an excellent acting job!!!

Chip,

It is about " A Clockwork Orange". I just added the jacket of "Soylent Green" as to maybe jog one's memory of one of my reference points.

Sonnie,

I agree with you. A lot of adults could not have sat through this film so, it is definatley out for a child.

George,

I am guilty as well of SG being one of my overall top films! Heston was on quite a role in those days.

Oh and nice theater George!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Thanks, John. :P

My Homepage!
                My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by John
                  I was clouded by the over the top feel of the film

What over-the-top feel? :B

George,

Yessir - nice theater room! Did you build the Lucite projector box? Also, you need to get a few more movies. You don't have quite enough. Heh.

Wait a minute! TWO projector systems? 8O

David - HTGuide flunky
                  Our "Theater"
                  Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

I'm working on the movies, Tex. As for the hushbox, I bought that from a fellow in New Jersey who designs and makes them for different kinds of projectors. As for the room, it is still a little rough. I have to find a way to hide the speaker wires cause i can't go inside the drywall . When the room was built they put horizontal 2X4s between the studs. If the drywall had just been nailed to the studs without anything in between, I would have been able to drop the wire in behind the drywall.

The reason I have two projectors ? Well I had the Zenith 4:3 crt first and three years later I went widescreen with the Sony lcd projector. I would have taken a hit on the crt if I tried to sell it, so instead I kept it for 4:3 viewing. I also watch sporting events on it now and then. But everything widescreen goes to the Sony.

My Homepage!
                    My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"