X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan question

If I'm looking at the Star Trek II DVD at the store, how can I tell if it's the new special edition or the original? When I was at Best Buy they had a couple copies of TWOK but there was no indication of it being a SE on the package anywhere. They looked like a bare-bones release to me. Was this the old version?

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

That was probably the old version. The new SE version is a double alpha case and should be all silver looking:

New Case:

Old Case:

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Paul's correct. I have the original ( old case).

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Brandon B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2001

Got this last week and finally watched it.

Video quality was good (on my 36" standard def Toshiba running component). There is some odd "noise" in some of the images, like the first shot of USS Reliant scooting across Ceti Alpha V. However, I seem to recall there was maybe a little of this in the original film when I saw it 20 years ago or whenever it was. Poor processing by the FX compositer.

Sound quality was OK. The dialog is not very crisp, and it changes tone from time to time, like there were two different looping sessioons with different quality or something. I think I also recall this from the theater though.

If you like this movie, you will like the DVD. I forgot how much I enjoyed this movie, even though I quote it often in banter. Haven't watched the extras.

This is, to me, the best of all the ST movies. Kirk at his Kirkiest, Spock and McCoy butting heads. The changes for the "director's" cut were minimal. A few scenes extended to include another couple minutes of dialog, and one great quick Spock quip when they are climbing up a ladder.

BB

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

This is one that I won't mind updating to get even a tad bit more out of the film. This is hands down, my favorite of the ST movies.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"