X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings DVD -- an opinion

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings DVD -- an opinion

Since a few sentences telling you what I think about it and assigning my star count doesn't really qualify as a "review", I've labeled this what it is: my opinion of the DVD of Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings (LOTR: FOTR). (You have probably already decided what you think of the movie itself.) :>)

This is a new reference standard DVD. Projected via the component video connection onto a 10 foot diagonal 16:9 screen, the picture looks as "film-like" as any I've seen on DVD and with over 700 titles in my DVD collection I've had the opportunity to screen a wide variety. The color rendition is excellent-to-state-of-the-art with no bleeding or off-hue patches. The picture is sharply focused from edge to wide-screen edge. (I have the 2.35:1 widescreen edition -- I cannot imagine viewing this film in Pan & Scan.) This DVD actually looks better on my front projection system (with black mattes framing the edges) than it did 10 days ago at a commercial theater screening where the framing was wrong and the focus wasn't precise. Having passed the critical test of looking great really "blown up" in viewing size, it should also look great on direct view sets and other systems with smaller screens.

The sound is superb. Forceful, pounding, impressively loud yet clean when called for, but portraying every whispy nuance and subtley when that is appropriate. In other words, this track has (very wide) dynamic range. The dialog, even when whispered, comes through clearly and without strain or distortion. The sound effects vary in intensity -- as they should -- and the music properly ranges from panoramic sweep to intimate instrumental highlighting. The Dolby EX is rendered flawlessly. I cannot imagine that a DTS track would have sounded any better.

The DVD menu on the movie disc is both clever and unobtrusive -- it is in the shape of a ring, and thankfully does NOT incorporate annoying "animated" effects that on too many other DVDs take a minute or more to load before the menu choices are accessible. You can make your setup selections right away and get down to doing what a DVD is all about -- viewing the movie. And then come back later and access the extras. (Those are on disc two.)

I have not had an opportunity to view any of the extras yet, but the set is loaded with them -- they will give me entertainment another day. I am glad they included the trailer for LOTR: The Two Towers -- that was an interesting epilog to the movie at my last commercial screening of LOTR: Fellowship Of the Rings and this one on the disc is supposed to be even more detailed (runs ten minutes).

But the real prize here of course is the movie. If you liked it in the theater, you are going to LOVE this DVD. I still want the extended edition due out in November, which will not only include about 30 minutes of footage deleted from the theatrical cut (reportedly integrated seamlessly into the movie) but also a different set of extra material. For now, though, I am very happy to have the original theatrical cut available any time I want to see it (which I expect will be pretty often.) :>)

New Line Cinema has earned FIVE STARS :5: out of five :5: with this DVD. VERY highly recommended. If that isn't strong enough, "my highest recommendation ever for a DVD" (so far anyway). :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...
  • Pat
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Well, I never saw it at the theater but I did pick up the DVD today on the way home from work.
    The plan is to watch it tonight on my "big screen" only 106" diag...not quite as big as Burkes, but big

Pat's Page
    Pat's Page

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

Agree with all you have to say. This is my wife's favorite book/movie/story, and we saw it 3 times in the theater and several times off a VHS dub of an Academy screening DVD we have. The sound (through PLII) and picture on my tape were so good, I was expecting that the DVD would be top notch and it is.

We have already watched quite a few of the extras first (small boy was napping, and no way was I going to put the movie on at reduced volume), and they are all (so far) interesting and worthwhile (some duplication amongst the various TV specials). Now we can finally clear all these same specials off our satellite PVR (my wife has been greedily retaining them until the release).

This will undoubtedly be our favorite DVD until November, and for some time thereafter. OK until 2005 when SW EPIV comes out for me. First loves die hard.

Side note: Also got Wrath of Khan today. Video is middling good quality, some weird artifacts in light areas. Sound is a little better. Kirk at his Kirkiest. I'll review the disk when I have time to sit and watch the whole movie.

BB

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Burke Ebert
        I cannot imagine viewing this film in Pan & Scan

Burke, I caught it in "Pan & Sham" one night at a hotel while out of town on business. It wasn't a good experience, especially after seeing it on the big screen at a cinema!

Good review, uh I mean "opinion". You have a knack for this - keep it up.

Since a few sentences telling you what I think about it and assigning my star count doesn't really qualify as a "review"

Okay, I'll make mine more wordy.

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

Since a few sentences telling you what I think about it and assigning my star count doesn't really qualify as a "review"

Okay, I'll make mine more wordy.
          David -

Your reviews are just fine already. (But feel free to be as wordy as you want to be.) :>)

You usually put in enough detail concerning the movie in question that the reader gets a sense of what it is about and why we should be interested in what you have to say about it. Or you describe the technical merits of a DVD in a way that we know whether it is worth our consideration.

Anything short of that may let us know the poster's opinion, but isn't really very helpful in informing our own choices, which should be an objective of a "review".

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Nice Review Burke! :B

I just picked up this disc also. Have yet to watch the dvd but, did see the theatrical release! Very good film.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Robbie
              • Aug 2000

Although it sounds like a broken record, nice opinion Burke. I to picked this up the other day. I did not watch this at the theater and have some issues with the story (mainly the ending) but the DVD was impressive. As you mentioned the Sound was incredable. I will watch this one many times.

Robbie

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Great write up and opinions! Thanks for putting such effort into your thoughtful write ups!

I'm holding out for the long version in November, but who knows- maybe I'll break down and get this one, too- my girlfriend is going to buy it for her teenage boys. (Maybe herself, too, even if she won't admit it )

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Well, I started watching last night. I didn't want to quit,but by 1:30 AM, it was time to go to bed. I didn't buy it, my daughter got a free rental. (She's working part time at a video rental place.) Unfortunately, it wasn't a widescreen edition. But I couldn't say much, after all, my daughter was trying to think of me. just wish she had made it home sooner than 11. That's prettylate to turn on an epic adventure with work the next day, lol.

She may "free rent it" one more time to hold me over until the SE comes out. Great movie, what an adventure!

Lex
                  Doug
                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Watched this Friday night. WOW! :banana:

Burke said it all. What a fabulous DVD. I cannot wait until November and the Platinum Edition's release. And then, The Two Towers in December. buwahahahaha! (best Dogbert voice)

David - HTGuide flunky
                    Our "Theater"
                    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                      • Jan 2002

A definite must own.... waiting for 11/12 to get here and it will be ordered.

Good review! Thanks!

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Brandon B
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jun 2001

A note for all you SE holdouts. The one out now comes with a coupon for a mail in $5 rebate on the SE or $10 for the gift set version, so you can get both pretty cheap.

If you had bought the current one at BB first day out, $15.99 minus $5 for the rebate, it would have cost you about $12 (tax).

The SE is going to split the movie across 2 discs as it will be about 215 minutes. I don't think it will have any branching options to the theatrical version. To me it's worth it to have both (there may be times I only have 3 hours to kill).

BB

Comment

• Kevin P
                          • Aug 2000

Dang, I was gonna hold out for the SE in November but after reading this thread I might have to get the current release AND the SE... does it ever end? :B

Of course it doesn't help that the rental place I go to only stocked the Pan & Scam version! xx)

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                          My HT Site

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"