X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Time Machine... well...

Sometimes film-makers should leave well enough alone, especially when it comes to old sci-fi classics. The Time Machine remake, starring Guy Pearce, can't hold a candle to the 1960 George Pal version starring Rod Taylor and a cute Yevette Mimieux.

The new version is embellished with a somewhat different storyline that just didn't work for me, even though it was directed by Simon Wells ( did he do anything else?) a direct descendent of Time Machine author H.G. Wells.

I have seen better transfers than this, and the low end audio was wanting at times. The Fx was pretty good, but we've come to expect that in CGI today. Well I decided to rent this rather than buy it, and that was a good decision. This film left me feeling I had just wasted 90 something minutes of my projector's lamp life.

:2:

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by George
    did he do anything else?

From IMDB:
    1. The Time Machine, 2002
      The Prince Of Egypt, 1998
      Balto, 1995
      We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story, 1993
      An American Tail: Fievel Goes West, 1991

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I can always count on Tex to answer my questions. Thanks, buddy.
      Now what this tells me is this guy shoulda stuck to animation.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

:^x

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Brandon B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2001

I watched this last night after Lion King, and was surprised to find I actually liked it.

Not a lot, and agree with your reasons for disliking it on an objective level, but I am not sorry I bought it (came in a 2 pak with a Jackie Chan movie my son wanted at Costco, so it was $7). I enjoyed the first half quite a bit, got a little irritated when the morlocks were introduced. (What is it with these guys and the Planet of the Apes makers, 300 lb hominids cannot jump 40 ft without shattering their leg bones. ANd why are they injured when falling the same distance they are capable of leaping? Oh so annoying.)

But I liked the art direction, liked the music, liked the actors, and for some reason, didn't really mind the departures from the original story too much.

Plus it fit in with the "Jeremy Irons as evil bad guy leader" theme for the evening.

Was I tired, or did anyone else like this at all?

BB

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

You were just too tired . :LOL:

Just kidding, Brandon. It wasn't a real stinker. I was just expecting more than I got. I'm sure there are many others who also liked this version.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Dean McManis
              Moderator Emeritus
              • May 2003

I too was disappointed when I saw the new Time Machine in the theater.

Too much Hollywood action film, not enough sci-fi adventure.

The 60's version had it's flaws as well, but it was very good for it's time.

I would have just gone in a different direction with this movie, away from the apes thing, and the computer oracle with an attitude, comedy relief.

Still, I saw the DVD really cheap and decided to pick it up to watch the interesting bits of the movie from time to time.

-Dean.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"