Hey George, two of our favorites have made it to dvd...Both Flint films!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hey George, two of our favorites have made it to dvd...Both Flint films!!!

And

Yeah Baby! ;h I'll be getting mine this week!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Oh, man, I hope I can get these locally, but it will be worth the 2 hour drive to the big-ger city if necessary. Thanks, John.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

You are very wecolme!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Well, Wallyworld doesn't have the Flint dvds yet, but the manager thinks they may show up. Couple of other local shops don't have them either, so it looks like they'll have to wait for my next trip to the BIG city. After you watch them, John, give us some comments on the picture quality and sound.
        George

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

George,

I order mine thru http://www.buy.com for two reasons.

1) I've been doing business with them for a couple of yrs so, i don't have to worry about my CC# with a new vendor.

2) It was around $10 w/free shipping.

Bad part...they are on back order. So who knows when I'll see them.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Aww, heck. Well, maybe I'll get mine first. Well, I did read a review on them somewhere, and apparently Fox has done an excellent job with the transfer. I can't wait to see these two films again.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Hey George,

Got one in the mail today (Our Man Flint). I'll check it out later today. However, I still do not have my main or bedroom system setup completely. I'm going to view it in bedroom but using the tv's own speakers. So, while I can still evaluate picture, sound will be a total guess.

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Before I comment on the disc, I was out at Target last night and saw that they had both Flint movies on dvd for $9.44.

Now to the disc "Our Man Flint". Fox did a great job bringing this film to dvd! The picture easily surpasses what I expected for a film this old. The picture shows very very little noise . Color is so brilliant, with no bleeding that I could see on my 32" set. The blacks are very solid. The only grain that is present on the film, are a few shots that show an "over-veiw" of the city. Which looks like a backdrop to me. Those with FPTV (George) should be very pleased.

The audio is mono but, is very satisfying. Even through my tv's speakers, it was well balanced and dialog was as clear as any "well recorded" 5.1 track.

Can't wait for my other disc to arrive!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Wow, thanks, John. I haven't been abel to find either title locally, so I now have to wait until I find time to drive to Halifax. It'll be worth the wait.

george

My Homepage!
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

8) :T

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

I got 'em both on Saturday. And surprise, surprise, the Canadian price was only $11.97 each. WOW ! I expected to pay anywhere between $18 and $25. for these babies.

My Homepage!
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

I'm glad that they have found their way to your collection. Now watch them! :B

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2001

I'll be firing the first one up tonight.

My Homepage!
                          My Homepage!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2001

Our Man Flint was the first in the series, released in 1965. Picture quality not bad. Sound is mono, so I didn't xpect too much. Man, was James Coburn thin in those days.

My Homepage!
                            My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Yeah, those were the days when he was studying with Bruce Lee.

David - HTGuide flunky
                              Our "Theater"
                              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• John Holmes
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

George,

I get the feeling from your post that, it didn't look good on your FPTV???

Yes, James was quite thin in those days.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2001

John,
                                  Some scenes were soft, others sharp. I don't think they spent a lot of time on the transfer. But overall, I wasn't unhappy. Just good to see this film again in widescreen.

My Homepage!
                                  My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

George,

I'm really surprised! Both films look fantastic on my 32" JVC, with the exception of the air footage which I mentioned above. Obviously, the larger picture in you home is less forgiving (more accurate) than my direct-view. I am really sorry to hear that it was not up to standard for you.

Comment

• John Holmes
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

double post

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2001

The Sony VPL400 lcd projector is a very UNFORGIVING machine. Regular tv looks horrible. Laserdiscs look soft. DVDs mostly look gorgeous. And Our Man Flint looked good most of the time. It was just certain scenes. Maybe the sequel will look better. Anyway, John, it really doesn't matter. It's the movie itself that counts and I loved the Flint films.
                                        Did you know that Mike Myers loved the Flint series and used them as the basis of his Austin Powers' spoofs.

My Homepage!
                                        My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

Yes, and it was an excellent idea! If I might say so myself. 8)

Comment

Working...
                                          😀
                                          😂
                                          🥰
                                          😘
                                          🤢
                                          😎
                                          😞
                                          😡
                                          👍
                                          👎
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"