X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Surf's Up, But...

... you don't have to be a surfer to like BIG WEDNESDAY. This film was relased in 1978 and starred Jan Michael Vincent, Gary Busey and William Katt. It covers 12 years in the life of three surfing buddies, and the changes they go through as they grow older -- and wiser. There's some excellent acting by these young stars, and the story is well told. It is written by John Milius and Dennis Aaberg, and is directed by John Milius. The surfing cinematography is top notch ( no cgi here) and all three stars do their own surfing. Jan Michael Vincent and William Katt were already accomplised surfers, but Gary Busey had to learn for his role.

The finale ( Big Wednesday) where the surf is gigfantic and dangerous, kept me on the edge of my chair.

Early in the film, Jan Michael Vincent becomes a drunk, and it is rather prophetic that in real life alcohol ( and probably drugs) ruined his life and his career. Not long ago there was a video on a news program of Jan Michael in jail clothes, cleaning up garbage while serving time from something. So sad. As Big Wednesday showed, this young man had great potential,

:4:

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Yeah, Jan "coulda been a contenduh". It's sad to see.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"