X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

Jurrasic-phobia

Many sites are filled with people screaming that the soundtrack for Jurrasic Park is defective.
    So, two nights ago I watched the T-REX chasing the jeep scene, and sure enough there was very little bass during the T-REX's footfalls.
    During the day my mind kept grumbling something about just getting the "corrected" version of Leon, and now I'd have to keep my eyes and ears open for this one too!
    As my Jurrasic-phobia grew I decided I'd have to get treatment for this illness, I sat down to watch it tonight.
    My first impression was one of quality, I'd say "state of the art" even! The bass is not overwhelming, it only goes down to around 30hz (best guess) but when the big dino's exhale, or it's otherwise called for, the bass is there...all except for one scene, during the T-REX chase scene things sound wrong, the bass drops a few db's and when the T-REX crashes through the fallen tree it sounded like breaking glass??? :? I backed it up and tried that scene again, same reaction, sounds closer to breaking glass than a smashed tree! After that scene it was back to an excellent, very realistic soundtrack...perhaps the tree was rotten! :W
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

It seems that the bass levels aren't as high as they are on the LD which most people are comparing it to. It appears also that most of the bass is recorded in the main channels not the LFE track. What this means is that if you have your mains set to large and they aren't capable of producing true low bass you're going to miss most of the bass. Try setting your mains to small and redirect the bass to the sub where it likely belongs and it should help.
    It does appear though that there is something different (notice I didn't say wrong) with this disc compared the the lost world since the bass is apparently much more prevelant in this disc then JP. I can say that for sure since I can't bring myself to buy the lost world.

Comment

• KennyG
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2000

Andrew, I don't use a sub, my mains are about 5 ft tall with 3 12's in each, so they have their own subs, they spec at -2db @ 16hz, so low freqs are not a problem for my system, and it is set up correctly.
      So your saying the footfalls of the T-REX in the jeep chase scene are deep and forceful??? The bass is felt before the T-REX actually shows up, but once the chase begins it just doesn't seem right.
      I don't mean to imply there is no bass here, there is, near the beginning when the lone Brachiosaur is eating from the tree top, and she raises up on her hind legs...when she comes down the bass causes the electron gun in my direct view tv to miss track! and this is at a volume setting below reference levels. I don't remember this ever happening before, not even during the "defense" scene in Mission to Mars, in that scene the bass goes below hearing, and the feeling is awesome, the difference is it builds slowly, the Brachiosaur comes on with a BANG!

Comment

• MRWILLL
        • Aug 2000

I tried both LD DTS/DVD DTS. In the scene Kenny is talking about, the LD is much better (on my system).

With the .1 (LF, along with bass that usually goes to te mains) being directed to your main spks, isn't that a bit much info going to your L/R spks? With a dedicated sub(s) and main spks, is't it suppose to be a blending process?

STOP!!...LOOK!!...LISTEN!!
        DVD...Hear it from the people who
        mixed and mastered it "LEXICON".
        STOP!!...LOOK!!...LISTEN!!
        DVD...Hear it from the people who
        mixed and mastered it "LEXICON".

Comment

• Huskerduck
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2000

for some reason Im getting superb, clean, deep bass from the DTS version and it definately is lighting up my 2 subs very nicely especially in the walking, banging into explorers and tipping them over, and breathing ( more like snorting)
          The Lost World seems to have alot more bass through out but I gues this is because theres 2 of them maybe

Mark

Ducks Meager Theater
          Mark

Ducks Meager Theater

Comment

• KennyG
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2000

MrWill, on the subject of to much info going to my mains...actually no, you have to realize with a total of 6 12" drivers, that's 678 cu.in. of bass radiating area. That's still almost twice as much as two 15" subs, then add 4 midbass drivers at 154 cu.in. of radiating area, and you can see that these speakers are capable of moving a good deal of air. Add to this approx 350 watts rms per main, and you can see that, theoretically this system should have no problem reproducing anything at moderate to high levels. In fact I've never had it fail to reproduce any sound, even at levels that drove me out of the room.

Comment

• KennyG
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2000

Duckman, I too am getting excellent bass during those type scenes. (DTS of course) It's just that the T-REX scene used to be a WOW scene to could show off the system with, now the bass is not impressive in that scene, and if you turn it up to where it is impressive the bellowing of Rex is ear splitting!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

The bass I get is decent and does rumble the room but its not what I would call reference level bass. Now maybe this the proper mix for JP but it definatly has less bass then the LD version. Can't say which is correct but the LD is awesome

Comment

• Jehan
                  • Aug 2000

Agreed. I think it was a case of the expectations just being a little too high. It is still a great disc, just not the reference 5.1 track everyone hoped for..

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"