• Show
Clear All
  • Clive
    Former Moderator
    • Jan 2002

Disney's decision Re:4:3 pan and scan ONLY Releases

Just a little something I came across

DISNEY
    All future B Family Movies will be released in Pan-and-Scan 4:3 only. This is due to the growing number of complaints they recieved about the "Black Bars" at the top and bottum from the average consumer, who is so not familiar with the concept of "Letterboxing" and/or its benefits. Disney will finalize their decisions very soon.

However, those of us who wish that DVDs should be released in their original aspect ratio must vote immediately to let our voices be heard and also to discourage other film makers from following suit.

Send an Email to disneyinfo@disneyhelp.com

Call 1-800-72disney

Two quick questions: -

1. If anyone has any more info on this subject of 4:3 pan-and-scan future releases from other film makers could you please let us know, thanx!

2. Is there anyone here whom actually agrees with Disney on this move?

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
    CLIVE

• Bob
    • Jul 2000

Disney knows their audience. It doesn't surprise me that a child wants the screen to be full. As long as it is for their B Family movies, I see no harm.

Comment

• Markj
      • Aug 2000

Some of Disney’s B movies are ones that I would have bought but passed on. It seems that all of the Muppet movies must fall into this B family segment because they have been released P&S, very unfortunate. On the bright side Disney did an amazing job with Swiss Family Robinson, Pollyanna, Parent Trap and Old Yeller. They are OAR and have some fun supplements. So Disney can do a great job when they see fit.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Well I am not into Disney flicks, but I hate to see any of the studios taking the P&S route only. It has been an uphill battle for all us original aspect ratio lovers just to get where we are now, so I hate to see any back-sliding on this issue.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• P-Dub
          Office Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Bob, gotta disagree with your statement that a "child wants the screen to be full" I think it is more that the parent want's the screen to be full. I don't think the child cares one way or the other, they just want to see the movie. And from anecdotal evedence, when the black bars are explained, the child is very receptive.

Another man's "B" is somebodies "A". Why not just include both versions and skip the extras? or side "A" OAR, and side "B" MAR.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
          Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

The other problem is its a bad precedent to set..esp from someone as large as Disney.

Comment

• Uncle Clive
              Former Moderator
              • Jan 2002

Originally posted by Paul Wu
              Another man's "B" is somebodies "A". Why not just include both versions and skip the extras? or side "A" OAR, and side "B" MAR.
              The absolute solution Paul, then we'd all be winners.

I was looking at this website http://www.moviecritic.ca and I was surprised to see movies like Fifth Element, U-571 and others rated as "B" movies now of course they are not Disney but if others were to follow this move, we'd definately loose the battle. I mean, Warner Brothers already places both versions on some of their discs why can't disney?

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Doesn't surprise me. I have a feeling it's going to be a continuous battle to stave the tide on P&S. What happens if the movies they are releasing both versions, the widescreen sales are slower? We are in serious trouble.

It's a concern from now on really. the way I see it. Not to much into Disney flicks now, but if I watch one, I want WS!

I sent an email!

Lex
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"