X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Hombre's an excellent western

This films stars Paul Newman, an evil Richard Boone, Fredric March, Barbara Rush, Diane Cilento, Martin Balsam and Cameron Mitchell. It was released in 1967 and is based on a novel by Elmore Leonard, so you know there will be a terrific story here, and there is.
    Paul Newman was raised by the Apache and is more Indian than white in his thinking and living. Through a set of circumstances all the characters are brought together during a stagecaoch trek, but things get really dicey when we learn that Boone and his henchmen are out to get a load of money March has stolen from the government... money that was intended to be used to improve life for the Indians on the reservation where March was an officer.
    Newman's character would just as soon leave all these white folk to their own devices, but is worn down by an unselfish Diane Cilento who goads him into taking action against Boone and company. I won't say much more, because I really would like others here to see this film. It is not a bang bang, shoot 'em upper. Rather it is pure drama with believable characters and a gut-wrenching climax. This is Paul Newman at the top of his game. SEE IT. You won't be sorry.
    BTW, the Fox disc features a servicable transfer, but far from reference quality. The stereo soundtrack should have had some work done on it. But the story and the acting made up for these shortcomings.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
Working...
😀
😂
🥰
😘
🤢
😎
😞
😡
👍
👎
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"