X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

WalMart's Going Crazy With DVD Deals!

First, I'm not affiliated with WalMart in any way - other than dropping bucks there on DVDs. Speaking of which, I was in our local one and they've loaded up the $9.95 sale racks with some good titles:

Lethal Weapon I - Director's Cut
    Lethal Weapon II - Director's Cut
    Lethal Weapon III - Director's Cut
    Silverado
    Batman
    Batman Forever

and about 40 more GOOD titles that I'm drawing a mental blank on at the moment. Check it out.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Their prices aren't quite that low up here in the frosty north, but they have the best prices in town. Most new releases come in around $23 with classics at anywhere from $14 to $17 smacks. When you consider the average CDN prices of a Laserdisc was $55 to $75, dvd at Walmart is a steal. Now if they'd just stop carrying Pan & Scan only of new releases, when separate WS and P&S disks are available.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Yes, Wal-mart has put a major dent in dvd pricing (sorry it isn't quite as nice up north yet ).

I too wish they did a better job of widescreen versions though.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Pat
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

David, I noticed wally-worlds prices too.
        Now I just have to decide if I really want the movie or am I just buying it because it is cheap.
        Decisions, decisions....

Pat's Page
        Pat's Page

Comment

• Uncle Clive
          Former Moderator
          • Jan 2002

The other day I purchased "THE HAUNTING" at Future shop for $29.95, in following weeks I saw at Wally-world for $14.95 the same cut. I was fuming. It took me about a month to decide that the price wasn't going anywhere and also being pressured by a thread in DIY the chap whos sub kept popping when he was testing the new sub he built.

Anyway I find Walmart to be okay. Most of my "new" DVD purchases are done there.

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
          CLIVE

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Actually all wall mart up here has a huge rack of DVD's that are priced at $15 cdn ($10US) and most of those titles are on that rack. Its surprising that we get such a price break on software up here...well unless its a specialty thing like Avia oe Video Essentials which are $$$

Comment

• Uncle Clive
              Former Moderator
              • Jan 2002

Originally posted by Pat
              David, I noticed wally-worlds prices too.
              Now I just have to decide if I really want the movie or am I just buying it because it is cheap.
              Decisions, decisions....
              I use the "collectors" way of thinking when deciding whether or not I should buy a particular DVD/Movie. The questions I'd ask myself is whether or not the movie is something we'd like to watch again and again, based on content, story line, acting/actors and will I and others still "value" the title. I still buy some animated movies on VHS tapes because sometimes the movie we'd be watching in my HT is not suitable for the kids so we'd send them upstairs to watch on the TV/combo unit we have. Of course titles like Atlantis, Toy Story2, Shrek and Final fantasy are duped on DVD.
              I'm not sure if you or any other member here does this but I also catalogue my movies in a book form for quick references. Whenever I make purchases I just add to and reprint the last page until it's full. My guests, especially the new, are always surprised when they ask to watch a movie and I hand them "Our Movie Guide" to choose from.

I think that some people may just buy titles to increase their library numbers but I think that would just be taking up much needed space. Remember, better movies will always continue to be released so IMO we should buy sensibly and leave space for future collections.

Happy Hunting!

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Yeah, Uncle Clive, I catalogue mine, too. I started that after finding I was buying titles I already had. My collection is made of of VHS tape ( getting smaller every day) Laserdisc and DVds, so it can be confusing as to what title I have in what format. My ideal is to replace all the tapes, and some of the laserdiscs. But I am slowing down my buying due to the need to conserve cash for future upgrades, and hopefully HD DVD. But every now and then Walmart brings in a new rash of classical titles at low prices and I end up doling out the cash.

My Homepage!
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

I picked up Three Amigos for 10 bucks, and the Wedding Planner for 15 bucks. Not bad, not bad at all. Seems like I picked up another one or two like that recently, but I can't recall what they were.

They have expanded the "discount DVD section" at my store, pretty cool! Next stop? Big Lots, for 1.99. :LOL:

Lex
                  Doug
                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Walmart dvds for $9.95 have come to Canada. I noticed some titles listed as a special purchase in their flyer this weekend. They show a couple of Rambo titles n the ad, but I will be paying a visit to see if they have something I don't already own.

My Homepage!
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                      Former Moderator
                      • Jan 2002

I bought today Smokey Robinson Live in concert and WoW was I impressed. $14.88 at Walmart, worth a buy, great entertainment. Smokey knows how to make it happen. Check it out!

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                        Former Moderator
                        • Jan 2002

I bought today Smokey Robinson Live in concert and WoW was I impressed. $14.88 at Walmart, worth a buy, great entertainment. Smokey knows how to make it happen. Check it out! :-y

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2001

Well, I checked out the $9.95 deal at Wally World and picked up GOOD GUYS WEAR BLACK, an early Chuck Norris film, plus THE EAGLE HAS LANDED, a WW 2 thriller. Both were in widescreen and are anamorphic. They also had the Rambo trilogy at $9.95 each, but I only liked First Blood, the first of the series and already had it, so I passed on the other two. There were a few other titles, but nothing of interest to me. It was just pretty nice to be able to buy something I didn't have for such a low price.

My Homepage!
                          My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Clive
                            I'm not sure if you or any other member here does this but I also catalogue my movies in a book form for quick references. Whenever I make purchases I just add to and reprint the last page until it's full. My guests, especially the new, are always surprised when they ask to watch a movie and I hand them "Our Movie Guide" to choose from.

That's a great idea, Clive! I'm going to have to do that myself - if you don't mind someone using your idea? I have my DVD's compiled on DVD Tracker and printing out a list with synopsis should be easy.

David - HTGuide flunky
                            Our "Theater"
                            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Hmmm..Sounds good ,,I am going to have to check them out.

Trevor
                              My HomeTheater S.E.
                              Sonically Enhanced
                              C5
                              Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Robbie
                                • Aug 2000

Stopped by K-Mart the other day and seems they have displays upon displays of Warner DVD's for ultra low prices. Could this be the same as Wally World???? I heard about the Warner price cut. I was a little scared that they would be Standard Format but most were WS editions

Oh well, with this price reduction I see my collection expanding.

Robbie

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                                  Former Moderator
                                  • Jan 2002

David, please go ahead it's a great idea. I mean the whole idea for these forums is to share ideas. You will impress the hell out of your guests :heh:

To add to this...the other week I recieved a Movie/ entertainment catalogue from Walmart. They are now producing one. Can't remember what its' called though. But hey, why not!?

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• David Meek
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Robbie, thanks man! I needed another place where I can spend money! :LOL:

Clive, I haven't seen a Wally-world catalog yet. It's a good idea though.

Trevor, just follow the link in my sig.

David - HTGuide flunky
                                    Our "Theater"
                                    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• David Meek
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by George
                                      I checked out the $9.95 deal at Wally World and picked up GOOD GUYS WEAR BLACK

George, I missed it at WalMart but was in Best Buy this evening and picked it up for $6.99. I didn't remember that Anne Archer was his love-interest in this one. Boy, do I like her!

David - HTGuide flunky
                                      Our "Theater"
                                      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2001

That was a good buy, David. I agree re: Anne Archer. She's delicious. I plan to watch this oldie tonight.

My Homepage!
                                        My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                                        😀
                                        😂
                                        🥰
                                        😘
                                        🤢
                                        😎
                                        😞
                                        😡
                                        👍
                                        👎
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"