X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Tron - a review

This is a 2 disc set that was relased in early January. I finally got around to watching it and boy did it bring back some memories.

The story is about an ex-employee trying to find some evidence in the mainframe to prove that his ideas were stolen. The only problem is the ever growing Master Control Program has different ideas. In fact the MCP is growing out of it's britches and is branching off into more world domination goals, rather than corporate raiding. Anyway, a local programer has been creating a security program called "Tron" to track internal and extrernal communications and would run sepereate from the MPC. That dosen't sit too well. Well to move the plot along, Flyn, the exemployee, played by Jeff Bridges, gets zapped into the computer world. There he meets up with computer program counterparts of the real world. There he helps Tron contact his user and defeats the MCP.

This movie was one of the first computer graphic type movies. It was pretty much a breakthrough at the time. Of course now days the graphics seems very dated, not texture mapping, no multipolygon, antiaisaling, etc. But the intent is still there, and who's to say the inside of the computer data stream dosen't look that way?

Visually, it is still quite stunning, especially this new edition. What is also most impressive is the amout of LFE activity. I'd say that this title almost rivals Titan AE in the amount of LFE energy. If you want a nice subwoofer workout, give this disc a spin. Anytime the big computer crusier comes by, you'll feel it shake your whole room. If it doesn't you need a new subwoofer. And I've only got an Energy 8" sub. Once I get my dual subs in, I'll be running this disc again.

There's also a commentary on the first disc, and a bunch of extra's on the second, I haven't had a chance to view either.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I love this film. I was happy that I did not purchase the original dvd release of this movie. This pressing was very well done. This is the treatment that it should have received.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I'm for anything that'll give my subs a workout.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Okay, okay. This one's been sitting at the house for a month or so just waiting to be watched. Guess we'll have to throw it in a give it a ride. I haven't seen it in 10 years (in P&S no less) so I have high hopes for this DVD.

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"