X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Has anyone seen ALI ?

With the exception of kudos to Will Smith for his acting, I haven't read anything good about this film. I thought the story needed more attention, but maybe I was expecting a documentary. Anyone else have any thoughts on this film ?

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I will have a few by the weekend. It's been sitting on my self for a few days now, have yet to view it. I'll be sure to pipe in!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I'll be looking forward to your opinion on this film, John.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Bob
        • Jul 2000

I liked this film very much, and my wife raves about it. There is no doubt that the film tries to cover to much and in doing so to little time is spent on each aspect of his life. If you want more detail then the documentary "Once We Were Kings" is a great film about just one fight.
        The music and sound is fantastic. The opening sequences alone are worth the buying of the film, as is the music in the last fight. Some people think the makeup is over the top on Jon Voight and Jamie Foxx, I think that they captured the essence of Howard Cosell and Drew Brown with incredible accuracy. Jon Voight was excactly how I remembered Howard Cosell.
        I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this film to watch and buy.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Hard to disagree with your comments, Bob.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

While I too agree with Bob's comments, I'll just add a point or two.

The film overall seemed very slow to me. Not as in boring but, never really moving either. I know it was already two hours but, some of the characters needed more depth. Like the two wives. His corner team. And how his relationship with Malcom X ( since they opened the film in that arena) came to be.

The fight scenes were pretty good to great. I just wish the rest of the movie was given the same consideration.

It did bring to light quite a few things that I was unaware of. Especially with the Sonny Listen fight. It is worth owning imo.

:4:

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

It would probably take several films to cover this man's life properly..Just dealing with the current phase of his life would make an excellent drama in itself.

My Homepage!
              My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"