X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpossum
    • Jan 2003

DVD player for my Rotel

Okee dokee.....now that the HDTV compatability issue is gone and the bass mgmt issues seems to be fixed...sort of (I suppose someday I have to figure out these suggested workaround solutions although the best I can do right now to figure out what the heck LCPM means is Lactation Consultants Program Manual).

Anyway, if I buy a whizzy Rotel setup and the B&W CM series, any suggestions on DVD players. I hear Rotel doesn't make one any more. For this type of setup, I have heard 2 schools of thought: 1. buy the cheapest DVD player because it won't matter and besides, in the next 1-2 years they will all be better with higher resolution. 2. buy something like the Denon 3800 or Sony ES series....assuming they don't have some evil virus called the Chroma Bug.

Any thoughts from the gurus?
  • Claude D D
    • Jan 2003

AAAAAHHH the $64,000 question.I've seen $250 DVD players that can out perform older $1500 players on the video side of things but audio is a whole different ball game.Most lower priced players do not sound as good as more expensive players.There are numerous reasons for this, things such as isolated video and audio circuts,higher quality power supplies etc. all make a difference.A good compromise player on the market that I had the chance to try out was the Sony DVPNS755.It has a excellent video DAC and does SACD as well,check it out.

Comment

• jpossum
      • Jan 2003

Apparantly the Sony player is still on medication to clear up the Chroma Bug. What do you think of the Panasonic RP82 or the Arcam player?

Since we both live in the same province (although my city gets chinooks, has the mountains, isn't run by politicians ), is the RP82 available?

Comment

• Claude D D
        • Jan 2003

Do you have a HDTV?The chroma thing isn't really a issue that I've heard with this player.A co-worker of mine has this player hooked up to a Sony KP61HS30 and it looks excellent , much better than the DVPNC615 he had hooked up before.Get one from a dealer with a good return policy and try it out.Arcam makes a good player as well but much more money.Personally I haven,t had much luck with the Panasonic players,but I know people who have.Again find a dealer with a good return policy and go at it with a couple of players once you narrow it down.I always like to hear/see how a piece of gear performs in my own system.Oh yeah,don't forget to break in the gear for at least 20 hours before beginning any critical viewing/listening.Have fun

Comment

• Claude D D
          • Jan 2003

If you need a good Rotel dealer and don't mind making a trek up to the Great White North we have an excellent place up here(Premier Audio 780-488-8778 ) talk to Vince or Rick or Tim.I have a love/hate relationship with these guys,I love that they know their stuff and give me good deals,but I hate that they always make me spend more money than I want to.

Comment

• mml7
            • Jun 2002

The Secrets of Home Theater website has excellent reviews and background info. on progressive scan DVD players. I suggest you reserve an afternoon to peruse their site:
            http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/

If you just want the nitty gritty:
            http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-part-5-progressive-10-2000.html

The Denon 1600 & 3800 do not have the chroma bug. Neither do the Panasonic RP62 and RP82. The Sonys do have the chroma bug (Sony appears to use their or deinterlacer chip and not the Sage)

mike

Comment

• wng
              • Dec 2002

I have a Rotel/B&W CM setup. I'm using a Sony DVP-NS715P, which is the DVP-NS755 w/o SACD. I'm only running S-Video so I cannot comment on the chroma bug, but the video performance seems quite good. It was recommended by my dealer as far as budget players are concerned, and it can be had for under US$200.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

If I were out buying a new one now I'd buy the Panasonic RP82 while I still could find one. Either that or try and find a RP91 either used or in some small store that hasn't sold out yet.

Comment

• GreggM
                  • Dec 2002

I was in your particular dilema about 4 months ago. I do have to say, my dealer is also a b&w and denon dealer and your speakers sound BEAUTIFUL with the 1066 and 1075 amp. I actually chose the denon 3800 due to its great sound and fantastic picture. It is also built like a tank. It made such a difference over my less expensive progressive scan dvd. You will be happy.

Gregg

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                    • Oct 2002

Like GreggM, I"m using the Denon DVD-3800. Incredible PQ, awesome DVD-Audio capabilities, and, own internal bass management, helping a bit against the RSP-1066 problem. I use a X-30 with the 3800, so I don't care about the BM problem.

The 3800 gives you great sharpness and details, almost 3D like viewing. And experiencing DVD-Audio with this unit, made me go back to all my "collection" (over 20 titles...LOL), and rediscovering DVD-Audio. Don't neglect the sound part of a DVD-player. It's usually where the difference is between a 300$ and over 1000$ unit. A RP-82 will give you an incredible picture, but it's lacking capabilities sound-wise.
                    To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• jpossum
                      • Jan 2003

great point on the audio part. I have seen lots of posts talking about picture quality but not about sound. I'm "stepping up" to buy some pretty high end audio components and speakers (at least for me) and I don't want to miss out with a cheap DVD

I'll be interested to hear if Rotel is bringing out a new DVD player at CES. It's last player got great reviews.

For those who have the Denon 3800, can I ask why you didn't go Denon receiver? I assume Rotel is that much better sounding?

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                        • Oct 2002

I didn't go with a Denon receiver only because I wanted to go the "pure" separate way, by this I mean not using a receiver as a pre/pro. I prefer the flexebility this set-up offers you. Later, you can only change the decoder part, and keep your external amplification for years. I don't think I will change my RMB-1095 before a LONG time!

I won't start the debate of the flag ship receiver over the separate. It's everywhere on all the good forums.

My advice, just try to find a good dealer that will let you try the Denon DVD-3800 in-house to see if you like it before buying it. try some DVD-A if you can.

Happy shopping
                        To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• Blue-Eyes
                          • Dec 2002

I totally agree. I've also the denon dvd3800, and its just a superb player!

Also did I have a denon receiver (avr3802) but trade it for Rotel pre-amps and poweramps. More detail, cleaners sound. If you know the typical character of Rotel and Denon, you know why

------------------------------------------------------
                          Never drive faster than your Angel can fly!

Comment

• jpossum
                            • Jan 2003

Did anyone test drive the Marantz 3800? It seems to get great reveiws. How did it compare against the Denon 3800?

Comment

• jpossum
                              • Jan 2003

whoops...I mean the Marantz 8300

Comment

• Blue-Eyes
                                • Dec 2002

If the're should be a winner i think It's the Marantz, little bit better music, and most of all: SACD! But, in Europe will cost 600 euro more (1700 - 2300 euro).

It's your decision to buy a player! Depending your budget. In the USA these players are a lot cheaper I heard.

Comment

• skullmurdoc
                                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by jpossum
                                  I hear Rotel doesn't make one any more.
                                  On the Rotel site they still anounce the DVD RDV-1080, could'nt you get that one? :?

http://www.rotel.com/products/rdv1080.htm

Comment

• princeoliver
                                    • Jan 2003

I have the Sony DVP-NS500 (last year's model of NS715), Panasonic RP82 and the Technics DVD A10. The RP 82 is the worst of the three when it comes to CD audio and build quality. The remote is very bad too. I personally find its picture to be a bit hard or harsh. The Sony actually have quite good audio. It has a good but softer picture and better build than the Panny. The Technics in my opinion has the BEST picture, audio and build. It should as it cost over $700 CAD two years ago. Because of its build, the picture is more stable and cleaner than the new RP82. But it too has some shortcoming as it would not play CDR disc and will only play CDRW disc sometimes. I use it only in my audio system. I kind of regretted buying it for audio rather than CD player. At the time I was think of getting it for DVD audio but so far I only have one DVD-A disc! It has very good CD playback but all my CDRs won't play in it! Have you thought of just getting a cheap DVD player for movies and an up market CD player for audio?

Comment

• Hanrahan731
                                      • Jan 2003

The Panasonic RP-82 (uses the excellent Faroudja de-interlacer and the MPEG decoder from the RP-91) or the Denon DVD-1600 (based upon Panasonic RP-56 for video - model replaced by RP-82/RP-62 - again, uses same Faroudja chip but with superior Burr-Brown audio design then RP-82). Generally, any DVD player that uses either the Genesis/Sage/Faroudja or Silicon Image de-interlacer chipset should be a good choice.

Comment

Working...
                                      😀
                                      😂
                                      🥰
                                      😘
                                      🤢
                                      😎
                                      😞
                                      😡
                                      👍
                                      👎
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"