X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Superbit - Bram Stokers' Dracula

Finally got around to watching the Superbit BSD this weekend.

Francis Ford Coppola is a seriously "different" man. Now that I've gotten that out of the way, the image and sound of this DVD is flat outstanding vs. the original DVD. Excellent shadow detail - it'd better be considering that most of this movie is filmed in dark settings, lots of detail in general - sometimes to the detriment of the miniature settings, a DTS soundtrack that works every speaker available and fine performances by Gary Oldman and Anthony Hopkins. I'm not a Keanu Reeves fan so. . . . Winona Ryder has some good moments and Sadie Frost (ooh, ahh) is seductive and naughty as Winona's best friend. Give it ride - especially if you have a DTS-capable system.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

I took this DVD (with some others) on my recent two week business trip; on one of the flight's home, it wore out my fully charged dual battery rig in an hour and a half! CPU utilization was pegged at 100% plus, (good ole Superbits), with CPU overload stutters, and the power consumption was something ferocious.

Well, it got me to get around to installing the Cinemaster XP DVD pack on my Sony laptop. Now the CPU utilization is "only" about 65%, and the video looks fine.

It is a lovely looking film, and an interseting variation on the Dracula story; one of the better ones, I think. The image qualtiy is first rate, particularly considering the difficult source and lighting. Shadow detail is excellent, as is general color rendition and freedom from banding. And the original version was pretty good, too! It's like the Fifth Element, and one of the impressive things about Superbit titles- that they've taken some of their best titles, and made them even better.

Note, these differences are very obvious on a 1280X1024 LCD display or front projection system; they might not be at all on a standard TV, or an HD ready RPTV in an average state of (mis)tune.

Highy recommended.

-Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

You know, I darned near picked up this on the weekend, but I hummed and hawed and said, ah I already have it on laserdisc, and since it is such a dark movie, will it be all that much better on my lcd projector. Now after reading these two posts I am ready to buy. It won't be the first or last laserdisc title I have replaced, so why not. After all the DTS track alone is probably reason enough to go for the Superbit, right fellas.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Right George. It is.

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Thanks, David, I just needed someone to convince me.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

George, need more?

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Yes, I'll be adding this one too!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"