X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Spy Game's Okay

Since it's told mostly in flashback, the pace really seems slow. This is not a great film, but it's such a pleasure to watch an old pro like Redford do his thing that you can't help but like the film. There's not too much of Brad Pitt here (okay with me) , it's really Redford's film . If you are not a fan of either Redford or Pitt, you may not like this particular dvd, so I'd advise a rental first. One thing I should point out, some may find the quality of the transfer questionable. Actually, during flashbacks to various past events, different cinematography was used, probably a a way of making Robert Redford look younger. But whenever the film is in the present, the picture is stunning. Soundtrack ain't too bad either.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

A rental may be a good idea. There have been reports of the some players having problems with this title. The subtitles will automatically turn on. It seems to happen more on the older Toshiba players, but others have reported this problem as well.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I had to ocassionally reach over and wipe the drool off my wife's chin during this one because of Redford, and my daughter's because of Pitt.

It did play a little slow, but we all enjoyed it.

Oh, it played fine in my Panasonic. No problems.

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

I restarted like 2 or 3 times, turning subtitles off, and I still had text like closed caption. Honestly, not sure I ever did get rid of it either. This was on a Tosh 9000. I may spin the disc on my Elite changer and see how it does.

I felt the movie was a little slow at times too, but I did enjoy it, and Redford gives a great performance. Not one of Pitt's best performances, but the role really didn't demand that, as in say Fight Club, where he was intense much of the time.

This film will be worth a few re-spins, so for 16.99 on sale, an easy purchase decision.

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

This title played okay on my Sony 7700. Sorry to hear of those having problems. Nothings ruins a film more than having software trouble.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Uncle Clive
            Former Moderator
            • Jan 2002

I rented this movie and ended up keeping it for an extra day because it was slow and long. Enjoyed it mostly. Didn't experience any problems with my panny, I believe I used the rv30 instead of the rp91 still worked fine.

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
            CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
              • Jan 2002

Watched it this past week and thought the movie was fair. I'm not much on flashback movies but thought they did fairly good with this one. I kept waiting on a real climatic rescue but never got it. I thought Redford's character was clever in outwitting his people, one step ahead of them, like Gene Hackman in Hiest. But the movie definitely didn't blow me away with interest. It does drag out.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"