X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Heist was better than I expected

I was expecting a clone of The Score and though there were some similarities, Heist was a very different take on the " one last job" plot. There was certainly plenty of good dialogue ( this is a David Mamet film), some excellent acting all around ( especially by Danny Devito) and plenty of twists and turns in the story line. I had rented this but I am giving thought to buying it. I think I'd like to watch it again in the near future. It also starred Gene Hackman and Mamet's favorite actress/wife, Rebecca Pidgeon.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The trailers had me curious. I'll go ahead and give this a look in the near future. I still have Driven and The Kid to watch this week.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Uncle Clive
      Former Moderator
      • Jan 2002

Did the rental thing last weekend and I was also surprised. It was a very good show and yes deserves a buy! Lots of course language though so people be careful when viewing.

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
      CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Yeah, that four letter word beginning with F gets a real workout.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• P-Dub
          Office Moderator
          • Aug 2000

I thought Heist was also a very good film and honestly better than the Score. Gene Hackman gives a great performance as a very professional theif that needs to finish one last job inorder to get out of town.

The dvd itself is pretty bare, just the movie itself in Dolby Digital 5.1, no extra's to really speak of, unless you think theatrical trailer and cast filmographies are extra's.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
          Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Yeah, Paul, the dvd is pretty bare bones, and that may account for the excellent transfer since obviously more bit rates were devoted to the film and sound.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
              • Jan 2002

I own this DVD as well and very much enjoyed the movie. I am a fan of all the stars in this one so it was a boost. The movie did have some good twisting to it and I liked the way it ended....cool! Definitely not the typical heist type movie.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Bob
                • Jul 2000

I think anything by David Mamet is worth a look. I love the fact that he recycles his favorite actors and actresses in his movies. Giving them to play totally different characters, much like the Cohen brothers. Can you believe that is the same actress from State and Main? Who would have guessed after seeing her in State and Main that she could play someone so sexy?
                Plus, I love Mamets stilted dialog. One of the reasons I like Ronin so much. His characters, be they mercenaries for hire (Ronin) or con men (Heist) all belong to the same fraternity and speak the same language while the rest of the world is swirling around them unaware of their presence.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Well, put , Bob.

My Homepage!
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Finally got to see this one. I think everyone hit the nail on this one. A very enjoyable film. My wife even enjoyed it. A must own for me.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

Glad you liked it, John. I have aleady viewed this film twice since adding it to my collection.

My Homepage!
                      My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"