X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Strictly Ballroom, a non Deal at Rogers

Here's a link to Rogers Video for this little gem of a movie. They are currently selling this for C$9.99 plus shipping and it looks like they'll ship to the US as well.

Edit: Please be advised that this IS an old licensed and poorly produced version, from a google search. It is just the Pan and Scan version of the movie. No extra's whatsoever.

For comparison, C&L has this title listed for $43.54! It's not at Futureshop nor A&B, and Amazon has it for US$19.99. This is the version you want to buy. It's the US only release with an OAR of 1.85 and extra's like Baz's commentary.

I've got my order in and it shows as being shipped, my total cost is:

9.99 DVD
    2.99 Shipping
    1.88 Taxes
    14.86 Total

Also it came loose off the spindle, so I've got scratches on the DVD. I will be returning this edition and will look to buy the US edition.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
  • Sonnie Parker
    • Jan 2002

This movie sounds a little like Dirty Dancing.

Doesn't it have something to do with Moulin Rouge and a series of movies from the same guy?

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• P-Dub
      Office Moderator
      • Aug 2000

This movie is nothing like Dirty Dancing. Not that I didn't like DD.

Strictly Ballroom was the first in director Baz Luhrmann's eventual Red Curtain Trilogy. The rest include Romeo & Juliet and of course Moulin Rouge.

The story is a simple one, championship ballroom dancer is opressed by the governing body's rules of "No New Steps" He loses his dance partner, and finds another. In the course he also remembers what it is to dance for the joy of dancing.

This is a pretty corny movie, played to the hilt with very sterotypical characters. The mom that's always smiling, the dad in the background, better watch this guy, and the son who's headstrong and ready to take on the world, at least the highly political world of ballroom dancing.

This is one of my favourite movies and partly due to my first hand knowledge of the ballroom dance scene.

I think this would be a fun rental.

Please note that there is work being done on a Red Curtain Trilogy Boxset due out around Christmas
      Paul

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

I remember this movie. I think at the time it was only available on VHS in my area so I only rented it. Let us know how good the quality is. For less than 10 smackers, that's a deal.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
          • Jan 2002

Originally posted by Paul
          This movie is nothing like Dirty Dancing.
          I wouldn't go quite that far.......should I????

Maybe a different kind of dancing but dancing none the less.

Notice I said a "little".... meaning a guy trying to introduce a particular style of dancing that's not accepted (to a certain point). It does end up being accepted in the end.

I've pesonally never been into ballroom dancing...... actually never tried it.... since the 6th or 7th grade that is.

I did like Moulin Rouge......although it had some corny scenes as well. Do you think I'd like this movie? Loaded question I know.... take a wild stab at it if ya will.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Ballroom dancing is a hoot- you guys don't know what you're missing. Personally, I'm an East Coast swing fan, though considering where I live, I'll have to get more into West Coast Swing somday!

I wonder if Walmart has this one?

-Jon

Earth First!
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
              • Jan 2002

I like swing music Jon. I can't swing dance but I like to watch people swing and I like the music.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"