X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

New firmware!

Guess what I was just told? Yup the beta firmware I've been testing is now available to the public. There's a copy on my website in the usual place if you care to try it. It addresses some of concerns...though some are still technically not possible and therefore not addressed. They have removed the Rec out on the display which is cool

• RogueAngel
    • Jun 2002

Thanks Andrew,

Besides the record out......which items are corrected with this release?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I believe some of the bass issues are fixed as well but I'm not positive on that.

Comment

• Dre J
        • Aug 2002

The subwoofer level control menu now offers the ability to turn off the subwoofer.

However, This is only Halfway there. The Multi-channel input adds the 0.1 channel information with low passed bass from the other 6 channels (FR, C, FL, RR, RL, CB).

Therefore, The Bass management of the Multichannel input is not correct and is still a problem for SACD and DVD-A. It may still be required to apply one of my bass managment fix suggestions for the multichannel inputs.

The true fix, IMO is to correct the subwoofer Yes/Max issue for analog and LPCM Stereo/multichannel inputs.

Hope this info helps
        Dre

My little corner of the world

"ILL-PLEX 007.1"
        My little corner of the world

"ILL-PLEX 007.1"

Comment

• JohnSC
          • Jun 2002

Andrew,

Is this the last update as far as you know or do you suspect they have others planned?

John

Comment

• nahoj
            • Nov 2002

Good work Andrew.

Is there som spec. for the new firmaware compared to the old one ?

I can´t find any info about this on Rotel´s page.
            Is it official, the new firmware.

How do I upgrade my RSP-1066, do you have any step by step instruction.

"I found it on Andrew´s site"

Is the old firmware possible to download, to have for security if something goes wrong ?

Comment

• Mats
              Special Member
              • Jun 2000

I hope Rotel will send me the firmware as soon as possible.

Andrew it would be great if you could provide the 2.XX firmware on your homepage too.

Well we`ll see what will happen in the future with our machines

Left forum because sold Rotel gear
              Mats
              Mats Strömberg
              Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!
              Navin R Johnson (alias Steve Martin)

Comment

• nahoj
                • Nov 2002

I´ve firmware V 2, 2, 2, _ 020905 in my RSP-1066.
                I bought it about 2 months ago here in SWEDEN.

Is there any firmware available for my preamp.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

I'll see about getting the version 2 up on my site soon.

I'm not sure if this is the last we'll see or not but I don't expect to see another for some time as I'm sure Rotel's busy working on the 1098. I was told Rotel's going to send me some pics of the new models from CES so stay tuned hopefully we'll get the scoop on the new models

Comment

• Mats
                    Special Member
                    • Jun 2000

V2.23 to V2.24
                    - Front panel display for Multi Input changed.
                    - Record source replaced by Volume on front display.
                    - Sub level can be set to OFF for different surround modes, including stereo.
                    - Mute will automatically unmute when volume is adjusted.
                    - Correction of on-the-fly adjustments when center & surrounds calibrated to min or max levels

The Mute feature does not work. The display changes but i hear no sound.

I have set my Front speakers to large and in stereo theres still an output of the sub. (Setup Yes And Max is still the same)

I can turn it in the sub setup to off now but i don`t think this is the right way to correct the bug.

I hope this is not the last firmware we see. It`s a small improvement but not the solution for all problems.

I don`t know if i would buy a 1098 reading all the probs with that machine. So the best publicity for the 1098 is to correct the problems of the 1066.

Mats
                    Mats Strömberg
                    Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

I've added the 2.24 firmware to my site for those that need it.

What problems with the 1098 have you heard about?

Comment

• sdecker
                        • Jun 2002

Andrew,

Does the new firmware come with the new upgrade software, instead of using hyperterminal?

TIA

Earle

Comment

• Mats
                          Special Member
                          • Jun 2000

I meant:

I wouldnt buy a 1098 if they cannot solve the probs with the 1066.
                          I did not mean any possible probs of the 1098

Even the new firmware does not solve all the probs and is only a small step as I think now.
                          The mute feature does not work and i think thats a little bit funny. Don`t they check their new firmware? Or is this feature only for a further release?

So will they be able so launch a perfect 1098? I dont think so.
                          Sorry it`s just what I think.

Mats
                          Mats Strömberg

Comment

• wng
                            • Dec 2002

Regarding the ability to set the sub level to off in the sub setup: I set my mains as Small for home theater. Now, say I set the sub off for the stereo option. Will the mains remain Small or automatically go to Large, as it ought to, when I listen in 2-ch? If the mains do not go to Large, then I don't see how this sub level tweak helps.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

The mute feature does not work and i think thats a little bit funny. Don`t they check their new firmware?
                              Rotel asked us which way we'd prefer it and we all said we liked it the way they've kept it...ie it won't come out of Mute with a volume change so I don't see this as a bug...they did what we asked of them

Comment

• Mats
                                Special Member
                                • Jun 2000

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                                The mute feature does not work and i think thats a little bit funny. Don`t they check their new firmware?
                                Rotel asked us which way we'd prefer it and we all said we liked it the way they've kept it...ie it won't come out of Mute with a volume change so I don't see this as a bug...they did what we asked of them
                                Thats all OK but they said in the release Notes we changed it and it isn`t changed.

I expect them to do what they announce. That`s all.
                                I wonder if they are unable to create a firmware without any bugs!

So they can change it with the next firmware or remove this item from the release note list (the easiest thing by the way).

I`m glad that there is a new firmware solving a bit our problems but we all have to say:

Rotel do a good job and correct really all bugs!
                                That`s our right as their customers!

Continuing like that I wouldn`t buy a 1098 and i wouldn`t advise anybody to buy one.

Mats
                                Mats Strömberg

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

At least they're trying...there's a lot of companies that either can't be upgraded or can be but at a cost to the user. Personally I was happy with the original version so any edits they make are icing on the cake.

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
                                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by powermaxi2000
                                    So will they be able so launch a perfect 1098? I dont think so.
                                    Sorry it`s just what I think.
                                    Even TagMcLaren with their new flagship model AVR192 has already issued a upgraded firmware to correct minor errors. On their website they state that it due to the complexity of the AV-equipment these days, future firmware releases will be necessary.

Comment

• fyonn
                                      • Nov 2002

Originally posted by wng
                                      Regarding the ability to set the sub level to off in the sub setup: I set my mains as Small for home theater. Now, say I set the sub off for the stereo option. Will the mains remain Small or automatically go to Large, as it ought to, when I listen in 2-ch? If the mains do not go to Large, then I don't see how this sub level tweak helps.
                                      if it's from an analogue source then stereo means analogue bypass so the signal isn't being filtered of low frequencies anyways, ie are large by default. dont know about other modes

dave

Comment

• wng
                                        • Dec 2002

Thanks, Dave. Makes obvious sense... Saves me a couple of clicks in the speaker setup when I go between HT and stereo.

Comment

• Mats
                                          Special Member
                                          • Jun 2000

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                                          At least they're trying...there's a lot of companies that either can't be upgraded or can be but at a cost to the user. Personally I was happy with the original version so any edits they make are icing on the cake.
                                          These companies have products without such big bugs as a fault bass management.
                                          I don`t want Rotel to give me new features or formats (they can`t do this because the CPU is too weak) but I want a correct firmware!

Tag McLaren has a perfect support and they are able to build products without such big mistakes. I feel sad that I can`t afford the AVR32.

Mats
                                          Mats Strömberg

Comment

• JohnSC
                                            • Jun 2002

Has anyone else given this a try? What do you think? I will upgrade mine on the weekend.

Comment

• garethk
                                              • Dec 2002

Hi All

I have a 1066 and when I hold down the mute it says V2.2.0 i want to upgrade to the new version but I would very much like a backup of this version.

Question 1 is Does anyone know if you can upload an older version of the software if i dont want the newer version.

Question 2 is whether anyone out there has a copy of V2.2.0 that you can email me.

Can someone let me know what the new sub selection options are.

I would like to be able to run my 603's as large with no sub when in 2 channel and as small with a sub in both dolby and dts. Is this possible with the new software?

Thanks

Gareth :?:

GarethK
                                              GarethK

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2000

garethk I should have copies of the older firmwares in case you need them so don't worry about that....upgrade and enjoy.

Comment

• fyonn
                                                  • Nov 2002

Originally posted by garethk
                                                  I would like to be able to run my 603's as large with no sub when in 2 channel and as small with a sub in both dolby and dts. Is this possible with the new software?
                                                  yes, this is possible. you define your speakers in the speaker setup section as you wish them for dolby digital/dts (ie small and sub for you) and then in the sub level page you lower the stereo sub level until you hit "off".

as the stereo setting is an analog bypass the speakers are not filtered for low frequencies anyway and you've just turned the sub off for stereo so bobs your uncle

of course what happens in 2 channel pcm I don't know. thats also a stereo mode but it's from a digital input so you'll have the sub turned off but I don't know if the speakers will still be defined as small. I'm at work atm so I can;t check.

dave

Comment

• Chris3G
                                                    • Sep 2002

ok so who wants to loan me the cable to do the upgrade?

rotel wants $30 for it and i'll probably only use it once!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2000

Chris if you look on my site there's a link on how to build your own cable for cheap

Comment

• garethk
                                                        • Dec 2002

Thanks Guys

I will give the upgrade a whirl...

Just one more question when you upgrade the software do you have to do it in steps eg... V2.2.0 then V2.2.1 then V2.2.2 etc or can you just jump to the latest version?

My 1066 has V2.2.0

Chow

Gareth
                                                        GarethK

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Oct 2002

Jump right up to the latest. The process deletes whatever is on the chip now anyways..

Kevin D.

Comment

• MuShu007
                                                            • Jun 2002

I think I'll give this upgrade a go.......Anyhoos I was reading the pdf file which requires us to remove the "cover plate?" Would that be the faceplate or the black top plate? Sounds like a stupid question eh.... :?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Aug 2000

on the back of the unit you'll find a small black metal plate about an inch long that has a philips screw holding it in place..this is what you need to remove.

Comment

• MuShu007
                                                                • Jun 2002

Thanks a mil Andrew! .....

MIKE

Comment

• simonb68
                                                                  • Jan 2003

Hi all, first post so be gentle.

This is the first I've heard of a firmware upgrade for the 1055, no mention of it on the UK forums I visit, so I have a few questions if anybody's willing to take the time to answer them

1. Is the firmware regional, or is it meant for *all* machines
                                                                  2. Is there anyway to 'register' with Rotel so they will automatically send me or notify me of new updates.
                                                                  3. My f/w version is 1.3.7_020514, presumably dated 14 May 2002. Given that I only bought it about a month ago, should I expect to have a v2 firmware machine, what is the difference between v1 and v2, am I losing out somewhere?
                                                                  4. I dont have a sub, so other than bass management and the display update is there any real need to apply the firmware update?

Thanks for your time
                                                                  Simon

Comment

• Trevor_J
                                                                    • Oct 2002

Hi all,
                                                                    I haven't tried the update yet, but I was wondering...has the speed in which the volume raised increased? Also, since I do not have a line of sight to the front panel of mhy Rotel, is the volume displayed in NUMBERS on the OSD?

Comment

• sdecker
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jun 2002

havent noticed any speed increase. No volume number on the OSD.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Aug 2000

Simon I don't know of a way to register wtih Rotel other to just keep checking in here There's a few neat things done with the latest firmware but if you don't care about the display changes and sub off its likely not going to do much for you...though I really like the display changes. The firmwares are universal so that's not an issue. As for having a first gen machine if its only a month old I might be tempted to call my dealer and see about swapping it out for a version 2 model to get the HDTV support...its worth a shot.

Comment

• simonb68
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jan 2003

Andrew, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately we don't have HDTV in the UK , is that the only difference between the v1 and v2 firmwares - I might contact Rotel and ask.
                                                                          The display changes - is it just removal of Rec Out and addition of volume control? It seems a large jump from 1.3.7 to 1.4.8, does that sound right?

Finally, one more question, sorry. I notice alot of people use the multi inputs for analogue connections, eg CD players due to DSP bypass. Is this not the case also for the CD connection?

Thanks again
                                                                          Simon

Comment

• Trevor_J
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Oct 2002
                                                                            • 51

No volume number on the OSD.
                                                                            This is extremely disapointing for me.

I honestly don't see any logic in displaying bars to indicate the volume level. Really, what's the point? Also, how hard would it be to display the volume level (already being displayed on the front panel BTW) ON SCREEN?

Maybe I'm being anal, but this is annoying for me as I have my 1066 in a seperate room in a dedicated theater. It would be nice to see what volume level my system is besides trying to count the little grey bars. :x :x

Andrew, can you ask Rotel if this is possible, and if so, can they include it in their next firmware release? Maybe they could make it user selectable.

Comment

• SayersWeb
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Dec 2002
                                                                              • 82

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by Trevor_J
                                                                              No volume number on the OSD.
                                                                              This is extremely disapointing for me.

I honestly don't see any logic in displaying bars to indicate the volume level. Really, what's the point? Also, how hard would it be to display the volume level (already being displayed on the front panel BTW) ON SCREEN?
                                                                              I agree 100%!

Sayer - Musical Creations and Home Page
                                                                              Sayer - Musical Creations and Home Page

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • Oct 2002
                                                                                • 4601

#40
                                                                                While it would be nice for a volume display while changing up/down (not to mention going back to the negative DB reference) it's really pretty easy to turn the menu on and see what # volume you're at.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Trevor_J
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Oct 2002
                                                                                  • 51

#41
                                                                                  While it would be nice for a volume display while changing up/down (not to mention going back to the negative DB reference) it's really pretty easy to turn the menu on and see what # volume you're at.
                                                                                  True, but I also do not want a screen full of information I don't want to see.

Comment

• vernonbc
                                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                                    • Oct 2002
                                                                                    • 10

#42
                                                                                    Hi all

This is not exactly a reply to the original topic but is firmware related. I am about to upgrade my 2.2.2 firmware to v2.2.4 in my rsp1066. When I upgrade, will I lose all of my settings such as input assignments, channel balance etc...?

thanks

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Sep 2002
                                                                                      • 121

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by vernonbc
                                                                                      Hi all

This is not exactly a reply to the original topic but is firmware related. I am about to upgrade my 2.2.2 firmware to v2.2.4 in my rsp1066. When I upgrade, will I lose all of my settings such as input assignments, channel balance etc...?

thanks
                                                                                      Nope, all settings are still there. Good luck flashing.

Comment

• Nicholas Renter
                                                                                        Member
                                                                                        • Jun 2002
                                                                                        • 57

#44
                                                                                        I really do like the display change. I also really like that when you select the multi-channel analog input, it now says "MULTI" on the display. Very cool feature.

Comment

• SaNdOkAn
                                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                                          • Jul 2002
                                                                                          • 25

#45
                                                                                          Well i updated my 1066 with the newest firmware for which i wanna thank Rotel!!

I read this:

- Sub level can be set to OFF for different surround modes, including stereo.

But it seems like i am stupid but where can i do this. When i am in the subwoofer screen i only can turn of the sub. Where can i turn of the sub in stereo modus???

Thanx for the help.

Sando

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          😀
                                                                                          😂
                                                                                          🥰
                                                                                          😘
                                                                                          🤢
                                                                                          😎
                                                                                          😞
                                                                                          😡
                                                                                          👍
                                                                                          👎
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"