X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

AI is too familiar

Speilberg's vision of the distant future in AI is certainly mesmerizing, but the idea behind the story was just too close to Bicentennial Man -- you know, the robot wanting to be human. I guess I was expecting something different. Doesn't mean I disliked it, but I kept saying to myself, "Didn't I see this before ?" And later I realized the similiarities to Bicentennial Man. Oh, well, it was still 2 and a half hours of visual delight. I know many have said the quality of the transfer is poor, but there is little doubt in my mind that Speilberg , in his tribute to Stanley Kubrick, was actually mimicking his cinematic style. You know, weird lighting , extreme closeups, etc. I'm sorta a hardcore Speilberg fan so I bought the dvd. Others may be content to rent it.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • Uncle Clive
    Former Moderator
    • Jan 2002

George, I just a few minutes ago stopped (Not finished) watching the movie with my son. The last hour was a drag. Way too long a suspence. Now maybe it's because I am not familiar with the original but do we have to be to go through this torture? I am glad I only rented it. I am sorry, help me!

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
    CLIVE

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I can understand why you stopped watching this. I don't know how old your son is, but I would not play this film when small tykes are around. Some of the stuff is a little to intense for the youngun's. This is very dark stuff for Speilberg.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Uncle Clive
        Former Moderator
        • Jan 2002

Understand that, my son is 18 yrs old, so it was sorta okay. The latter part of the show was too long winded. After sitting, watching and being pulled into the show in the first half. Something got lost in the ending. Just me.

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by George
          This is very dark stuff for Speilberg.

George, Speilberg had deliberately tried to capture the look and feel of a Kubrick piece, thus the dark influence. FWIW, AI didn't work for me. It's probably my least favorite of ALL of the works of Steven Speilberg and Stanley Kubrick.

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Got you, David, but when I said this was dark stuff for Speilberg, I was really referring to the subject matter.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"