• Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

T3 news

http://www.canoe.ca/Canoe/canoejam.html

Arnold terminates Canada
    By KEVIN WILLIAMSON
    Calgary Sun
    Arnold Schwarzenegger's political ambitions may have terminated plans to shoot his latest big-budget sequel in Canada.

B.C. film commissioner Lindsay Allen confirmed to the Sun yesterday that the $160-million US Terminator 3 had pulled out of Vancouver, where it was supposed to film in April.

"The location manager has told us it's staying in Los Angeles," Allen said.

The rumoured reason for the sudden and costly move is that Schwarzenegger fears shooting a film in Canada -- a so-called "runaway production" -- would hurt his chances at becoming governor of California.

"I can't confirm that, but I've heard the same rumours -- that Arnie is running for governor," Allen said, adding he was given no official reason why the project pulled out of B.C.

"Runaway productions" are notoriously unpopular in California, with film industry workers furious that film and TV projects go north to save money.

Allen estimates that filming a movie in Canada is 25 to 30% cheaper than shooting in L.A.

To keep the T3 budget from spiralling north of $200 million US, Schwarzenegger is reportedly forfeiting at least part of his $30-million US salary.

Schwarzenegger has long been rumoured to be seeking the governorship of California.

Allen says while he's disappointed T3 has left town, he doesn't think the "blame Canada protest" has hurt Canada in the eyes of Hollywood studios.

"The whole thing has gotten a lot more attention than it deserves. The amount of U.S. production here is only two percent of production in the states."

Other blockbusters still set to film in Vancouver include X-Men 2 and Santa Clause 2

• Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Well, maybe Arnold want's to go into politics because of lackluster movie results since True lies and Terminator series. Eraser wasn't bad, and Kindergarten Cop wasn't bad, but some have been really bad since I think.

I can certainly understand an actor wanting to stay closer to home sometimes, regardless of political interest...

Well, here's hoping T3 doesn't disappoint, regardless of where it's shot.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Hear, hear.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Jeez, why wouldn't someone want to shoot a film in Vancouver? It's a beautiful city, the country around it is georgeous and the people are friendly. Now compare that to LA's eternal cloud of smog and . . . .

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Jeez, why wouldn't someone want to shoot a film in Vancouver? It's a beautiful city, the country around it is georgeous and the people are friendly. Now compare that to LA's eternal cloud of smog and . . . .

:B You gotta love that one!

Can't wait for T3!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• P-Dub
            Office Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Yeah, that really sucks that T3 is not shooting in Van. I read that it's not so much a political move, but more of a space issue. There's just not enough studio space for a production like T3.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
            Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"