Super Speedway is still the standard for Demo disc!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Super Speedway is still the standard for Demo disc!

I popped in SS yesterday for the first time in over a year. I don't even watch or follow car racing. But, you have to get pumped about this sport when watching this disc.

The audio on this disc will put every part of the sound spectrum through it's paces. And the numerous pans through out this disc, will tell you quickly that 5.1 is something to behold. The detail, and it's ability to tax it from 20 to 20 shows how much DVD has to offer.

Not to be out done, the video is still some of the best on this format. I sat with my mouth wide open as if seeing this disc for the first time.

How this disc is not part of everyone's collection is beyond me!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

John,

I think I ran across a post somewhere recently about a new version of this in widescreen anamorphic, but I can't remember where. Have you heard anything?

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

David,

Really? This is news to me. Well, I for one would be hard pressed to purchase it. I am very, very pleased with my current version. Now if I wasn't, it would be a no brainer for sure. An anamorphic transfer would be the icing on the cake for sure!!!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• P-Dub
        Office Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Yes, there was a new release recently titled Super Speedway - The Mach II Special Edition.

It does feature a 16x9 version from the original presentation. It does include the original full frame presentation. The other main feature is a DTS track is included.

This is one of my favourite DVDs. I'm a racing fan so it's all good stuff.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
        Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Thanks Paul. I did not know it was out. After following your link and reading up on it, it may make it to my collection....that is, whenever I make the jump to HDTV. Which won't be anytime soon.

But for those that don't have it, it is truly a must own title!

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

I have the original- it looks great scaled to 1280X960. Particularly with the newest Cinemaster player. But the new version would be better on a projector or widescreen HDTV. I've already got doubles of too many DVDs- and more in the works, when the Blad Runner SE comes out!

-Jon

Earth First!
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Bing Fung
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

I love this title!

I have the original and was contemplating the purchase of the SE. Why is it most other Imax titles can be had for $19 or so, while SSW-SE is still at $37?

My favorite part of this disk is chapter 14 when Micheal is driving to Mark Knopfler's "Once Upon a time in the West" tune. Oh man, I have to go play this now and be alone for a while :W

Paul, did you like Driven at all? I actually did not mind this show, and absoultely love the street race sequence.

Bing
              Bing

Comment

• P-Dub
                Office Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Nope, didn't like Driven one bit. See my review here.

The street race was way too outrageous. I much prefer the Fast and Furious for racing scenes. I'm sure there are inaccuracies in it as well, but that had some nice scenes.

I love all the race scenes in Super Speedway. Actually the one with the tune playing in the background is probably one of my least favourite scenes. I guess I'm the kind of person that can listen to the sound of a race engine for 2 hours straight and not get tired.

I really like the first oval scenes in Miami. You get to hear the wind, the wall, the slips of the rubber as Mario comes down to the painted strip, and the change in road construcion, as there is a different colour patch in one of the turns.

This is truely a reference DVD. I recall seeing it the first time in an IMAX. Loved the sense of speed, but didn't really notice much in the way of the bass. But at home, the bass is part of the whole experience. Hmm, I think I've got to borrow the projector again.

Paul

Paul

Comment

• Bing Fung
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2000

Alrighty then.. nothing in common h:

Bing
                  Bing

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Hey, Bing, I'm not ashamed to admit I liked Driven. Great soundtrack and reference quality picture. But it's still a way off from racing films like Grand Prix and Le Mans. I don't have the Speedway dvd but have been looking for it. Now that it is out on widescreen, perhaps I will find a copy in this neck of the woods.

My Homepage!
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• Bing Fung
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Aug 2000

Thanks George!

Driven was one of those that I like just for the technical CG aspects. I liked the street scene regardless of how unrealistic it may have been for it inspired my dreams of always cruising an F1 or indy car down the street The image certainly is reference quality and I have often thought of picking this up for a demo disk. One scene I really like was the start of the Indy in Toronto, I don't know why but I just like the look and feel of that section.

It would be good to hear a comparision of the wide screen SS-SE to the original 4:3 Imax.

Part of what I like about chapter 14 was how it showed how quickly a driver must react to the road & track in with varing light and shadows. As well I love that surround sound effect as the Honda bridge passes over head, but I absolutely love how he just nails the throttle to get the car spun around after the controlled spin. Not to mention Mark K. is one of my favorite guitar players.

Oooh, I need to be alone again :B

Bing
                      Bing

Comment

• P-Dub
                        Office Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

Check out this thread for a couple of screen shots between the two versions.
                        Paul

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2001

Thanks, Paul. Gimme the widescreen anytime.

My Homepage!
                          My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"