X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Huskerduck
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2000

Moulin Rouge

going into this I was expecting too be snoring quick, it had everything I dislike in a movie ; Musical, dancing, Sappy Love Story, Vaudville type comedy, Kidman, McGregor, and Leguizamo (sp?), turn of the century time period peices always seem dreary, and on and on ........
    Well, this film blew my wife and I away in every aspect, I would think we have an Oscar frontrunner in atleast 5 categories.

the usual suspects for movie night declined when yhey heard what movie it was ( I think they were trying to be macho), oh well , too bad they may have missed the best movie of the year

Mark

Ducks Meager Theater
    Mark

Ducks Meager Theater
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I was thinking the same until I read your post. Still, I intended to at least rent it because my wife wanted to see it, but now I just may buy it.I too have heard about Academy Awards as a possibility for this film.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Wow Duck,

I was like George on this one but, I will rent it now since you enjoyed it so.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

This one has been nominated for several awards, including Video of the year. I bought it for a few friends this XMAS, some were skeptical, but none have complained after watching it.

Hope everyone got what they wanted for their holiday viewing- I got two new FarScape episode disks.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• P-Dub
          Office Moderator
          • Aug 2000

This is an increadible movie. You will either love it or hate it. There is no middle ground. The music is part of the movie, it's the other character so to speak. With out the music and the lyrics, there is no movie, there is no life, there is no love.

The story is of mistaken identity and love. Ewan McGregor plays Christian, a poet that through circumstance becomes a writer for his upstairs neibours performance group. But they need to get the star to agree to the change. The star of course is Satine, who is played by Nicole Kidman. She perform's at the Moulin Rouge, which is owned by Harold Zidler. Zidler has other idea's and has brought in a Duke in hopes that he will invest in the Moulin Rouge, and to make sure he'll invest, he's arranged a meeting with Satine after the show. Well Christian is at the same show, sitting in the next table, and through some slapstick initially is mistaken as the Duke.

The incorporation of lyrics from many familiar songs into the dialoge is the key to why this movie works, at least for me.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."
          Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Watched this last night. WOW !
            My wife didn't like it in the beginning, butgot caught up in the story and ended up liking it very much.
            Man, wasn't the picture and sound lush.
            Think I'll watch the second disc tonight... especially the Lady Marmalade video.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Well, Netflix finally got this one to me.

Can I be another to say"WOW"! :B

This was everything a movie should be. I now understand the draw of this film and the shock of it not getting it's due at the Oscars. I would have never rented this had you guys not listed it as a "must see". More than worth the time.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                • Jan 2002

I've owned this DVD for a few months now.

I very much enjoyed it. Although there were some rather silly scenes, overall I would rate it an A. My wife didn't get into it at first but started watching it deep after she heard "Your Song". I thought the music was what made the movie.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Pj
                  • Dec 2001

Crap, crap,crap!!!!!!!

Now i have resisted this for a long time beacuse its a musical and i cannot take it!

Now seeing your posts makes me.......well i just have to order it right away!

Who to blame if it sucks?......Me i guess

Well i guess it´s a good movie after all, i´ll keep u posted!

PJ

PJ's DVDs @ DVD Profiler

PJs HT@Telia
                  PJ's DVDs @ DVD Profiler

PJs HT@Telia

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Hey, PJ, if you don't end up liking the music, or the acting... the visuals will make up for everything.

My Homepage!
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                      • Jan 2002

Yes it is extremely colorful and the setting is awesome.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Pj
                        • Dec 2001

I got my copy today, maybe it will be the one for tonight!

I´ll tell you what i thought later! 8)

PJ

PJ's DVDs @ DVD Profiler

PJs HT@Telia
                        PJ's DVDs @ DVD Profiler

PJs HT@Telia

Comment

• John Holmes
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

I'm not a fan of musicals either but, I enjoyed this one. Looking forward to your take on it.

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

I just bought this on a new BD transfer. Debated whether to start a new thread or dig up this old one. Nostalgia.

This is my wife's #1 all-time favorite movie. The first time I watched it, at first I HATED it. I do mean, during the beginning, I HATED HATED it. Obviously directed by someone on cocaine, (literally) the way it was disjointed, bizarre, and everything happening at breakneck speed. But then, as the movie settled down, I started to warm up to it, and ended up really appreciating the music.

The second time I watched it, I LOVED it. (still not a fan of the opening, though) Overall, it's very well written and done. And the musical composition is truly GENIUS. I absolutely love the love song medley on top of Satine's elephant, and the way they mesh Sting's "Roxanne" into a Argentinian tango is purely brilliant.

This is a pretty darn good BD transfer as well. Sound in DTS-HD 5.1. There is a thunderstorm just as the movie reaches its climax and Christian descends into depression, that sounds magnificent. Good picture, and since the music is one of the greatest things about this movie, the audio recording really does it justice.

Very enjoyable, 10+ years after this movie was produced.
                            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                            - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"