X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

How was 2001 for you?

Just wondering what you thought of 2001 releases. Are you happy with what came out?

Overall I'm quite pleased with this year. I increased the number of DVD's in my collection to over 200. I bought more this year than last year. So in that sense, it must have been a good year for me.

Older titles that I'm glad I was able to purchase this year:

Forset Gump
    When Harry Met Sally
    Ben Hur
    The Rock; Criterion
    City Slickers
    Wall Street
    Wayne's World
    Die Hard 5 Star
    Akira
    Batman, the original
    The Princess Bride SE
    Terminator SE
    Snow White
    The Godfather Trilogy

Newer movie releases:

Shrek
    Final Fantasy
    Chalies Angels
    Star Wars: Phantom Menace
    Sex and the City
    Soprano's
    X-Files

I'm looking forward to adding Rush Hour 2 and Jurassic Park 3 to my collection.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I enjoyed the year. I really like the speed which theatrical releases have made it to dvd this year. Much, much better than last.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I concur with you guys. A great year for releases, and like John, I too am pleased with how fast theatrical releases are coming to dvd.

Paul-
      Glad to see how your collection is growing.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

2001 has been a good year for releases, but maybe not for the usual reasons.

"Current releases" have been a bit disappointing for me. General quality of movies hasn't really "rung my chimes", and then there's things like Fox's ballyhooed "THX" release of TPM with unfortunate and unnecessary levels of edge enhancement. Obviously, THX is *not* a badge of quality, regardless of what they would like you to think.

On a more hopeful track, the Columbia Superbit releases are a bonafide benchmark; I've been pleased with everyone I've bought, because now I don't have to whine about "Waterworld" still being the best mastered DVD I've ever seen, and why can't other folks get their act together?

This year has also seen the release of quality versions of old favorites of mine, (i.e., in Anamorphic Widescreen, not LBX 4:3) of personal "classics" like "The Truth about Cats and Dogs" (*NOT* to be confused with "Cats and Dogs), Melanie Griffith's and Jeff Daniel's "Something Wild", Sellecks' "Quigly Down Under"; all which have been available at nice prices. This contrasts greatly with the release of early favorites such as "Always" and "True Lies", which are rip-offs using the original Laser disk master in LBX format. Now, if other studios with less resources can use fresh widescreen masters for these relatively obscure title's, Dreamworks and Fox have no excuses for such cr*p treatment of these popular titles.

And let's not forget the Marilyn Monroe releases of this year, which nicely complement the Bridget Bardot widescreen releases from last year, in my opinion. Yeah, that's a little weird, to some people, having widescreen anamorphic B&W DVD's! But I love it!

I'm also getting into a variety of TV show releases on DVD; I don't have cable, and don't watch broadcast TV, but the general production quality on the DVD releases of shows such as Farscape, Sex and the City, X-Files, and even the Dune mini-series have made them fairly enjoyable light viewing, at a good price per hour.

Now, next year, it's "Back to the Future" I'm waiting for with bated breath, to have a hi-rez (relatively) alternative to my Laser Disk versions.

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Yeah,Jon, those Superbit releases are great. I hope the other studios get into the act as well.Hell with the extras, just gimme a great anamorphic transfer.If the others do get in the act, I wonder what they'll call their Superbit titles.Got a feeling Sony has that name trademarked already.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

2001, that was a Space Oddyssy, wasn't it?

Pretty good year, added a few great movies, and ok, a few not so great. But MOST importantly, and I would gladly give all the others back I bought, for the Super Bit 5th Element. That is, IMO, the best movie of 2001, and it wasn't even a 2001 movie! :B

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"