X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Cape Fear the original...

Because this is an older film (released in 1961) and in black and white, it will probably get passed over for the newer (Martin Scorcese) version in color with DD sound. But that is a shame.
    As much as I liked Scorcese's version, the original is much more chilling, and the B&W transfer befits the mood of the film. It is interesting to compare Deniro's Max Cady (the psychotic antagonist) to Robert Mitchum's version, and difficult to say who does it best, but I favor Mitchum, a guy who could make you love him as a hero, and utterly despise him as a villain. In the original,Gregory Peck played the hero/victim, and Nick Nolte played Peck's role in the latter version.Both did an excellent job, but with their own particular take on the character.
    Both these films are worth viewing, but if you really want to feel cold,stark terror, see the 1961 original. You won't be sorry.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • Markj
    • Aug 2000

George thanks for the review. With this cast this DVD just went on my buy list!

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"