X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Are you a completionist collector?

Just wondering if you feel the compelling urge to complete a series of DVD's even if you don't like one of the movies.

I'm missing Alien 3, mainly because I didn't think it was that good. I got Alien 4 at a good price, and thought it was pretty decent. Though at times when I glance at my collection, I see the missing movie.

I've only got the Bond films from Golden Eye onwards. I'd like to get the others, but I don't feel the need to own them. Don't know why, maybe it's the price. But I bought Tomorrow Never Dies at full retail, the only DVD that holds that distinction in my collection. Oh it was the older silver cover, too.

I've got all the Star Wars movies. :B Well seeing as there's only one out know, it wasn't too hard.

Got all the Die Hards, twice, the old set, and the new set.

Have all the Lethal Weapons, but not the new DTS versions.

The only other missing item is X-Files; Season 4. I have to bow to budgetary constraints. I said this about Season 2, but bought that about 6 months later. I'll see how long I hold out this time.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I'm definitely a completionist. I have many of the sets you referred to. There's something about having the complete set of something that make the collector different from the person who just likes to buy movies per se. ALSO, AN EXAMPLE OF WANTING THE SET EVEN THOUGH YOU DIDN'T LIKE 'EM ALL, IS THE GODFATHER. I really haven't taken to Godfather 3 the way I have to the other two.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

I wish i was, and I try to be, however I find my attention span may vary depending on what I'm collecting.

Movies is one collection I'm impartial to....

Bing
      Bing

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Personally, I don't kid myself for a minute, that I can keep up with all the collections Simply to many other priorities Both Die Hard box sets, check, 1 set of LWs, many Bond's including 2 box sets. Some are dups. But can't say that I have all the Bonds. But close.

I have all the 5th Elements. lol. (2 editions) and did by the box Superbit set, even though I don't know that I will like Crouching Tiger and really only wanted Desperado and the 5th. Haven't watched it yet, so it's just like, well, there was something about owning the first superbit box set, that seemed worth it at the time, though I know it's only personal gratification, all that's worth. I was actually disappointed the individual covers don't say Superbit across the front, though maybe that will be special someday.

Interesting topic.

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Wireless
          • Feb 2001

Yep, count me in. What I didn't purchase on LD, I completed when the DVD came out.
          Die Hards-LD copies
          Beverly Hills Cop-all three on LD
          Batman-Split between LD and DVD
          Starwars-I have two copies of three originals on LD, the Phantom Menace on DVD
          Aliens-Three on LD and 1 DVD
          Predator 1&2
          5th Element(Original on LD- the two DVD releases
          American Werewolf London and Paris

And more that I can't remember unless I go through my collection.

Help me! Even if the movie sucked I feel I have a gaping hole in my life if the set is not complete!

John
          My HT Picts
          John
          My HT Picts

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

I know what you mean,John.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Wireless
              • Feb 2001

George did you get the Godfather set? I heard the transfers weren't that great so I was waiting, hoping for a review.

John
              My HT Picts
              John
              My HT Picts

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Yes,John, I have the set but haven't watched even one of them as yet.However, the latest Widescreen Review gives it a 3 out of 5 for picture quality.They say the color picture is like an aged color photograph with somewhat brownish hues.Before the dvd box set, I had the Godfather triology in (ugh)vhs, and the transfer favored a greenish hue, particularly on Godfather #1. The best looking one was Godfather #3 on tape, but on dvd it still only rates a 3 by Widescreen Review.
                When I get around to viewing one of them, I will post my observations of the transfer.

My Homepage!
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

nope I don't have the coin to buy movies I don't like so I'll own Batman 1 & 2 but not the last two, I refuse to buy the lost world since I hated it but will fill in the lethal weapon movies (have 1 & 4) but only because I like the set....now if I found a disc for a rediculously low price I might reconsider buying it but certinatly not for retail price

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

I want/try to complete series but, I just can't stand Roger Moore as James Bond!

Seriously though, I have found myself so far behind now on getting movies that I want, it just isn't cost effective for me to complete my series first.

When and if I get closer to owning other releases that I want, I'll revisit the series that needs work.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Markj
                      • Aug 2000

What Andrew and John said.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"