X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kevinlin1013
    • Dec 2010

Looking for the best 8" woofer

I am looking for the 8" woofer that might be crossed at about 250Hz for LR2.

Wish for highly-detailed and low coloration sound. In a vented design but still get tight bass.

I am considering the accuton C220 but it really costs high.

May I have everybody's suggestion? Thanks
  • Face
    • Mar 2007

Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.
    SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• WE4242A
      • Jul 2010

I'll choose SEAS W22EX001.SL's test:http://www.linkwitzlab.com/x-mid_dist.htm

Comment

• kevinlin1013
        • Dec 2010

Thanks a lot!

What is the differrent sound characteristic between Seas Nextel Coated Paper Cone and Aluminum Alloy Cone since they are in the close price range?

Comment

• Face
          • Mar 2007

From what I've seen, the Mag cones have less distortion down low.

Comment

• Jonasz
            • Nov 2004

I love the W22 also as a midbass. However since you're only going to use them below 250hz I'm pretty sure one of the Scans will perform better. The bass from those are just awesome and they have almost twice the xmax as a bonus! :P

Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

Comment

• kevinlin1013
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Face
              From what I've seen, the Mag cones have less distortion down low.
              Thanks for the information

Comment

• kevinlin1013
                • Dec 2010

Thanks! I am also considering the two guys of Scan-Speak.
                How about the different sound or characteristic of these two Papar cone and metal cone?

Originally posted by Jonasz
                I love the W22 also as a midbass. However since you're only going to use them below 250hz I'm pretty sure one of the Scans will perform better. The bass from those are just awesome and they have almost twice the xmax as a bonus! :P

Comment

• Face
                  • Mar 2007

Compared to what? The SEAS woofer has similar linear travel and has a higher maximum excursion.

Comment

• kevinlin1013
                    • Dec 2010

BTW Mr.Jonasz It looks so cool of the open-baffle from your icon. I wish I can bouild one of that but it is pity I have two mischievous cats that just have scratched the surround of my driver........

Comment

• Jonasz
                      • Nov 2004

Compared to what? The SEAS woofer has similar linear travel and has a higher maximum excursion.
                      According to the Seas datasheet the W22EX has 5mm linear and 10.5mm maximum excursion. The SS on the other hand 9.5mm linear and 14mm maximum. How these numbers correlate to real world measurements I don't know but the SS drivers sure has some gutsy output down low. :P

Comment

• Jonasz
                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by kevinlin1013
                        BTW Mr.Jonasz It looks so cool of the open-baffle from your icon. I wish I can bouild one of that but it is pity I have two mischievous cats that just have scratched the surround of my driver........
                        The W22's do sound awesome in this setup! :P

Cats (and kids) are speakers worst nightmare. I've had numerous drivers torn up in the past, most notably a pair of SS8545K :cry:, and all of those have been in boxes. I'm not sure dipoles are any more vulnerable than boxes, it's mostly the surrounds they thrash on their way up on top the speakers anyway...

I don't have cats anymore (but I do have a couple of those kids :P )... :B

Comment

• Jonasz
                          • Nov 2004

Thanks! I am also considering the two guys of Scan-Speak.
                          How about the different sound or characteristic of these two Papar cone and metal cone?
                          I couldn't tell you the difference, I've only heard the paper version and that is awesome. :P

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

I'll vote for the SS 8" aluminum ones- got a pair in a test system. Very similar detailed and clean sound as the 10" version. I'm becoming more and more a fan of the revelator woofers, because of how they sound in a finished system.
                            the AudioWorx
                            Natalie P
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                            Obi-Wan
                            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Bear
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Dec 2008

Professor - Despite your access to advanced time travel technology, you may want to tweak the signature line... :B

Also, didn't your findings with the M8ta indicate that the RS225 was at least competitive with the W22 in the bass arena?
                              Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• dwk
                                • Apr 2005

Ouch - some nice drivers discussed here but you guys play in a higher rent district than I do.

I'm looking at 8" drivers to pair with my NHT Xds project. The NHT's can cross as low as 150 or so, but may be better at 200 or 250 although that may be a bit tougher to integrate in my nearfield application.

I've almost decided on the RSS-210 for this - attractive since I can run them sealed and not need a sub, and all reports are that they're perfectly happy at 250 and beyond. I was also looking at the Usher 8137 which did well in Zaphs testing from 60-250 and is surprisingly cheap if a bit unsightly; it would need to be vented though.

Lots of options, it seems.

Comment

• kevinlin1013
                                  • Dec 2010

I couldn't tell you the difference, I've only heard the paper version and that is awesome. :P
                                  In fact I have seen the photo you post of Respons loudspeaker that is the tyoe what I would like to build. I also confused with 22W or 26W since there price are very close.

Troels Gravesen's Jazzman used a 22W/8857T in a 40L Vented box design. Is there any information about 26W for the volume?

I have a pair of accuton C30 and C158 now , they will be tweeter and mid-woofer. The woofer will be cross about 250Hz 2LR-elctrical.

At first I considered the accuton C220 but the price seems to be a little ridiculous though I like the sound of the ceramique drivers........

Comment

• kevinlin1013
                                    • Dec 2010

If a high performance 10" woofer be crossed at 250Hz LR2 will be too high?

Since it is not a steep slope and the woofer will sound into the midrange.

Comment

• 5th element
                                      Supreme Being Moderator
                                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by dwk
                                      Ouch - some nice drivers discussed here but you guys play in a higher rent district than I do.

From what I recall the RS225 is in a similar league to the W22 excel, but isn't as smooth as the W22 on the upper end. It's certainly a no brainer if you're on a budget.
                                      What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
                                      5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
                                      Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• Face
                                        • Mar 2007

I wish Jed still had measurements on his site. Maybe he can post them here.

Comment

• kevinlin1013
                                          • Dec 2010

I saw your in progress is C79+W22NY. My project now is also use the accuton mid (It's C158. In fact , as mid-woofer of bookshelf in the very beginning).

I think C79 might perform better as midrange especially in the high conneting to the tweeter.

Comment

• Jed
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Apr 2005

Most are here: http://htguide.com/forum/showthread....3&page=1&pp=35

Comment

• Bear
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Dec 2008

Jed - It looks like the ROY has a touch too high of 3rd order distortion vs. the higher-end SEAS and ScanSpeak 26cm woofers, but that it has 2nd, 4th and 5th order distortion that actually beats the other 10" woofers in your test. Am I reading your results correctly? It also looks like it has pretty flat frequency response way beyond what one would expect from a driver marketed as a subwoofer, as well. I know this driver was talked about pretty extensively upon launch, but I just haven't paid any attention to it.
                                              Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• Jed
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Apr 2005

I wouldn't say the L26ROY has too much 3rd order harmonic distortion-- especially when used as a subwoofer. That said, it remains pretty dang clean up to 300hz and even higher. A great motor-- but it takes a lot of current to get them going, which is why I prefer other 10s for "woofer" applications, or when I want the impedance response to remain manageable with a Fc below 300hz.

Comment

• Theresa
                                                  • Jul 2010

SS mid-woofers

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                                  I'll vote for the SS 8" aluminum ones- got a pair in a test system. Very similar detailed and clean sound as the 10" version. I'm becoming more and more a fan of the revelator woofers, because of how they sound in a finished system.
                                                  I have the 7" Revelator along with a HDS Rediscovery tweeter for my center channel. It is a better driver, especially for large orchestral works. than the Eton 7" I have for RF/LF. I plan on replacing the Etons with SS 7" but keep the Eton Mag/Ceramic tweeter. All my fronts are electronically crossed over.

Comment

• Theresa
                                                    • Jul 2010

In fact I have seen the photo you post of Respons loudspeaker that is the tyoe what I would like to build. I also confused with 22W or 26W since there price are very close.

Troels Gravesen's Jazzman used a 22W/8857T in a 40L Vented box design. Is there any information about 26W for the volume?

I have a pair of accuton C30 and C158 now , they will be tweeter and mid-woofer. The woofer will be cross about 250Hz 2LR-elctrical.

At first I considered the accuton C220 but the price seems to be a little ridiculous though I like the sound of the ceramique drivers........
                                                    Beautiful speakers. I remember when JBL had a similar 4 way with an additional 18" sub.
                                                    I have been thinking of using a ScanSpeak mid-woofer with the Eton ceramic/magnesium tweeters. The pictured speaker's mid and tweeter look interesting to me. I already have a pair of Etons for my L/R. My center is a ScanSpeak 7" Revelator with the Discovery tweeter, thats how I know that I like the 7" Revelator. I also like the Eton cer./mag tweeters which have a lovely sound. I am tempted by their new mids but cannot afford them at this time.
                                                    Last edited by Theresa; 17 February 2011, 06:54 Thursday.

Comment

• Theresa
                                                      • Jul 2010

I am looking for the 8" woofer that might be crossed at about 250Hz for LR2.

Wish for highly-detailed and low coloration sound. In a vented design but still get tight bass.

I am considering the accuton C220 but it really costs high.

May I have everybody's suggestion? Thanks
                                                      I personally do not think that Accuton drivers are worth half what they cost. Almost as expensive but with a much higher value are the ScanSpeaks (like the one's in the beautiful tower above) IMHO. I would get a Revelator 8" either metal (less expensive) or paper. I think the ScanSpeaks have the highest value you can find today.

Comment

Working...
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"