X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Markj
    • Aug 2000

Shrek

This last weekend my family watched Shrek and I was a little disappointed. The emphasis on little because I felt it just wasn’t the best animation never and that is what I was expecting. I liked it but never was laughing out load. It was a good story but it lacked a cutting wit. The Disney references were amusing but added little to the movie. I like the ending and was glad they took the high road with that. I will watch this again and see if the second viewing is better than the first. My 9 year old really enjoyed the film and was laughing much of the time.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

You probably have to have a weird sense of humor like I have to enjoy this film.I actually found it hilarious-- especially Eddie Murphy( the donkey).I also found the animation to be quite good. Much better than Antz.On the other hand, Mark, if you are not viewing this on a large widescreen tv or projector,perhaps the animation doesn't look all that good.I own a Sony VPL400 widescreen projector and I use a 52" x 92" wide screen, and the transfer of Shrek completely floored me.The DTS soundtrack was pretty good ,too.

Now I am not a big fan of animation, but things like Shrek, Final Fantasy, Antz, Bugs Life, and both Toy Storys were films I really liked,even though i don't wait for them with abated breath to come out on dvd as I do other films.

What one person likes and another dislikes is what makes us individuals and just because I liked Shrek doesn't mean you were wrong in your assessment. Afterall, I do have a lot of crap on my dvd shelves.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Markj
      • Aug 2000

George it’s not that I dislike the film just didn’t think it was as good as the other films you mentioned. Oh, I agree that the donkey, Eddy Murphy was the best part of the movie. I am glad it’s on my self.

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

We watched it in our home this past weekend. It was quite enjoyable imo.

I did not see a DTS track though? Could it be on the second disc???

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Markj
          • Aug 2000

John it is on the second disc which is also the widescreen version of the movie. I think it is interesting that they put the best video with the best audio.

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

I didn't see this at the theater, and I've been on the fence about whether to pick it up. Write ups have mostly been very positive, and of course, it has made a gazillion dollars. Well, it's probably pretty reasonably priced at Target, so why not? It will probably appeal to the kid in me, and my 17 year old daughter liked it, too.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Thanks Mark!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Watched this twice this past weekend and really enjoyed it. I'm not a big eddie murphy fan so I liked some of the other charicters more then the ass but all in all I laughed quite a bit during the movie. The commentarys are interesting too since they say that they ended up having to take away some of the detail for the pricess since she stood out to much in some scenes...makes you wonder what they could do if every charicter was that good....wait a minute wasn't that final fanatsy

Comment

• P-Dub
                  Office Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

I watched it over the weekend as well. Along with a whole bunch of other people who saw it for the first time. It was a big hit. I really think this movie works for both kids and adults.

Another fine product from Dreamworks. And is anyone else amazed at the price of this 2 disc set?

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
                  Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

I forgot what I paid for my copy, but I do recall thinking it was a bargain.

My Homepage!
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• Markj
                      • Aug 2000

Paul you are right that this was a good price and for a two DVD set it made it a no-brainer to buy it. I think I picked it up for $17.99 or there abouts.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"