X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Another Goodie from the vault for Halloween- Sleepy Hollow

Some of my friends wonder why I have a whole shelf of unopended DVD's sitting around.

Well, it's for occasions like last night, when my lady friend and I wanted to kick back and relax and enjoy an appropriately themed movie. I've been travelling so much the last four months on business that I've hardly watched any movies.

From the "unopened vault" came Tim Burton's "Sleepy Hollow", which I didn't catch at the theaters and hadn't seen before last night. All in all, it was the perfect Halloween night movie; very atmospheric, with its stylized cinematography, and a reasonably clever story with some twists and turns to keep you off balance. Very good picture quality, and good sound, though not as overblown as some effects fans might like.

This was viewed using the new Ravisent Cineplayer 4.0, which is there brand new DVD player (they provide the guts behind the ATI and Matrox players, though those are currently one generation behind Cineplayer 4). Well, though I've heard numerous complaints on the AVS Forum about stutters, sound incompatibilities, and general churlishness regarding this player, on my humble Audio Test PC using a 600 MHz Athlon and AMD chip set it performs flawlessly with a Philips Acoustic Edge sound board and ATI Radion video card. In fact, there are a few movies that the ATI player won't even read, like "Mission to Mars", that this player sailed through without difficulties. When it works, it works very, very well. Fortunately for me, it works.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • Markj
    • Aug 2000

My son wanted this film so I got it. At the time I didn’t realize that Tim Burton was the director until I read the DVD case. I had to watch it twice, once with my son and then with my wife. The second viewing was just as enjoyable.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Yeah, I bought this when it was first released.Last night would have been a good time to rewatch it but I had other duties to perform (handing out treats.)The film is really good,though, and one I will watch every now and then.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

This is easily one of my favorites. I just enjoy everything about this movie. A role that Depp did a very good job with.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"