X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Desperado is Super(bit)

Watching "Desperado" brings back all kinds of memories for me, it being one of the early DVD releases, a pretty stunning one in it's time, and one I used over and over again in my early HTPC experiements, first with a Chromatic Research Mpact board, then with my Matrox 400 setup.

This movie, in it's original version, has an interesting combination of vivid picture rendition and very complex, gritty looking backgrounds from the locales shot in Mexico. Some of the shots of the town streets, with highly detailed masonry, and focus which reveals the texture of clothing to an unusual extent, made this a must have for picture quality evaluations- it was particularly adept at showing up the huge quality advancement between DVD on a conventional 4:3 TV, and computer playback in progressive scan and anamorhpic aspect ratio. Mind you, this was almost two years before the first progressive scan STB DVD players came out.

Well, the SuperBit version continues in the same tradition- great depth of field, over the top action sequences, even more cleanly delineated audio track, and razor sharp screen definition, clearly a reference quality disk. No edge enhancement whatsoever that I could discern on a monitor with true optical 1600X1200 resolution (based on size and dot pitch), with playback scaled to 1280X720 widescreen. It may not be HD, but it's so much closer than what you typically see in the stores that it's not even funny.

Antonio Banderas is something of a hoot in this movie; he didn't speak English when this film was made, and had to memorize English lines by rote. Helma Sayek is, as always, Helma Sayek; this transfer does nothing to make her any less easy on they eyes; but now, perhaps, you can count her eyelashes in some scenes.

If you're a fan of Rodriguez, this movie is worth the coin. If you want a demo peice for a hi rez video system, this is my number two choice right after "The Fifth Element".

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

This was one of the early dvds I purchased and was overwhelmed,at the time, with the picture quality. I have been debating getting it in Superbit and your comments have caused me to give it serious thought.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I am glad to hear(read) that the SB version of Desperado is worth the price of admission. I've been buying this movie forever and wanted a pristine copy. It seems from your review, this is it.

Thanks for the review!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Bing Fung
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

If I remember correctly, I thought I quite liked this show... So I may have to get it too!

Thanks Jon.

Say, does anybody recommend buying 5th E on super bits if I already have it on regular DVD? Has anybody done a side by side?

Bing
        Bing

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Been there, done that. But everyone knows I'm addicted to this stuff.

TFE Superbit is worth it if you have an anamorphic capable display- with good convergence and alignment. There are areas where the increased picture detail in some elements is quite apparent. There's less horizontal filtering in the SB version, and also less artifacting (you have to look really close on a big display to see that on the original).

If you're a real TFE fan, and particularly if you use HTPC, it's probably worth it. Many TV's have optical limitations which may make the improvement problematic to observe, though. And if you have a 4:3 display without anamorhpic squeeze, the down conversion filtering will wipeout the gains.

My comments are based on viewing scaled to either 1280X720P or 1700X1000i. (quasi HD compatible mode). The differences in resolution are quite visible on the standard overlay output on 480P, (848X480P on computer) but screen size is a factor.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Obi-Wan
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

I bought TFE in Superbit because I only had the laserdisc version, so I can't determine whether or not the Superbit is better than the first dvd release, I only know it blew away the laserdisc transfer.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Well I purchased the SB version of Desperado. Haven't watched it yet. Maybe this weekend.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Bing Fung
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2000

Well Ok! My tv does the Anamorphic squeezze with SVM disabled, and I am using Canare component video cables. Guess that's another "Thanks a lot Jon..." :W

Bing
                Bing

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Lookl at it this way, Bing. I'm just doing my part to help YOU stimulate the economy, too!

Let's not even talk about the pile of loudspeaker drivers growing in my living room- Eton 8-800 woofers, Focal T120dx2 tweeters, Stryke HE-15, Blueprint BP1203's- you get the picture.

Now go out and do your part and buy those DVD's.

I didn't even notice if the FED lowered the interest rates today like the paper said he probably would- too busy to see what Greenspan is doing. If we all buy enough DVD's, it won't matter! :B

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Obi-Wan
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Well, I made time to watch it. Looks pretty clean. I didn't notice any edging at all. Very smooth picture. The DTS track was very very detailed. I am quite happy with this purchase.

Thanks again Jon!

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"