X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Watched Final Fantasy & Air Force 1 Super Bit

Watched these 2 titles the other day, loaned by a friend.

Final Fantasy, Wow, my sub has never seen such a work out :E This is one fantastic movie, sure the story line kinda falls apart at the end, or is sort of lame, but the 3D rendering and animation is nothing short of incredible! I was amazed at how realistic the movements were of the characters. Truly a DVD to show off the state of the industry and your system.

Air Force 1 Super Bit. I don't know about this one, maybe I was not in the mood to be objective about this, but I found my emotions over shadowed the technical aspects of this show. I found at times I just broke down, relating to how many would have felt on Sept 11th. I found I was very outraged as well at the terrorist, as this movie presented a new perspective that I have never felt, or noticed in previous viewings. I did finish it if only to feel some type of redemption at the end. God Bless all those lifes lost on Sept 11th.

Ok, did it really look better? I don't know as I only have this on VHS. Let it be said that I was not stunned or floored by it, and I feel I have seen better images, though it was still superb. It is the same price as the original DVD release, and if extras arn't a big deal to you, you couldn't go wrong choosing this one. At times the image looked like a progressive image simular to play back on my PC DVD. At times I thought the colors were a bit muted or a bit washed out. I watched it on the DTS track and was fully engaged for the audio was excellent.

Bing
    Bing
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I am really looking forward to seeing FF. I was suppose to see it's theatrical release and did not.

I own the original AF 1. I really like the movie. Haven't viewed it since the events of 09/11.

If the SB version is only marginally better that the original dvd, I will not buy it. The idea of having a DTS track is appealing, but the DD on the orignal is pretty damn good already!

Thanks for the reviews!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Thanks for the feedback, Bing. I think I understand how you must have felt watching that; a lot of things look and feel different these days.

I've picked up TFE Superbit, but not AirForce One, yet. The other one I wanted to get and couldn't remember the title the other day is "Desperado"; I've used the original fequently for evaluations, since my very first HTPC in '98. That I've very curious to see in SuperBit. The original had a great image, pretty much free of edge enhancement, and not soft as I thought many parts of Air Force One were.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

I have the original Airforce One and it had terrific audio and picture, so I doubt if it is worth getting the SB, in my case anyway. I got The Fifth Element because I only had it on laserdisc and I wanted to get the improved picture offered by the SB disc.

As for Final Fantasy, I plan to watch this over the weekend.It won't bother me if the story is weak as I will be mostly interested in how it looks and sounds.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Well, I watched Final Fantasy Saturday night and all I can say is WOW. The cgi left me mesmerized.And as for the sound, well I don't know how low the bass goes in this film, I only know I heard more rattles than I have ever heard in my HT. The characters were lifelike, though at times movements were not as realistic as at other times.I have not watched the second disc, which will probably go into the cgi work in great detail, so I will be watching this in the near future.One thing, if you have a FP system in you HT, this will be a good dvd to use anytime yoiu want to demo your system for someone. Just make sure you have a good suibwoofer as this disc will really test it.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I just watched Final Fantasy this weekend.

WOW, is very accurate! What a stunning visual!!! The soundtrack is great as well. After watching it, I was pissed it took me so long to see it.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"