Watched a couple of new releases of oldies...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Watched a couple of new releases of oldies...

Last night it was The French Connection and the night before, It's A Mad Mad Mad World. The latter is a comedy directed by Stanley Kramer, but he should stick to serious drama and avoid slapstick at all costs.This film came out in 1963 and stars many comedians who look a lot differenet today ( or who have passed on).It is better than two and a half hours and drags terribly. The 5.1 sound sucks but the picture is pretty good, even though there is occasional edge enhancement, which really doesn't bother me all that much. Anyway, it concerns a group of people who stop to aid a motorist who has driven off a cliff.The motorist, played by Jimmy Durante, kicks the bucket (literally), but not before telling the group how he robbed a bank and where he hid the money. The rest of the movie concerns the race to get to the hidden money site, and there's all kinds of hijinks along the way, mostly due to the cause and effect of greed.You may or may not like this film. Its stars include Milton Berle, Jonathan Winters,Terry Thomas, Mickey Rooney, Sid Ceaser, Edie Adams, etc.May be worth a rental on an evening you have two and a half hours to kill.

The French Connection (released in 1971) is a helluva fine film, with superb acting by Gene Hackman, Roy Scheider and a great supporting cast. It's a nail biter at times and there's a car speeding scene under the subway that comes close to the excitement of Steve McQueen's car chase in Bullit.If you have already seen this, it is well worth a second look here. The transfer is terrific. It has a 5.1 track but I didn't care for it and went with the Stereo Surround version instead.The dvd replaces a crumby vhs tape in my collection, and it was sure great to see it in the OAR of 1:85:1. Rent it or buy it, but whatever you do,see it.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I'm getting so many ideas for new movies to view, I'll never be able to post until this time next year!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Markj
      • Aug 2000

The French Connection is on my list to get. I have never seen this film but I am a Gene Hackman fan. Thanks for the review George and I am glad that it has a good transfer.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"