• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Soft TPM Image?

Is is just me or does TPM look soft?

Something about the image looks very unclear, it's as if too much movie filter has been applied or some screen needs to be lifted off. So images do look good, however most times i found my self adjusting my set (from calibrated) in an attempt to get the image to my liking, didn't ever get it.

I popped in The Fifth Element afterward just to check, and it did not disappoint as it looked as stunning as I had remembered. So I would have to say something about TPM dissapoints me.

The bass track on this disk is nothing short of awesome :E

Bing
    Bing
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I'm picking this up tomorrow. I'll let you know what I feel about it then. I am just thrilled though that a Star Wars film, has actually made it to DVD before we see a new premium format!!!

Pinching pennies till payday!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Bing, it's probably *not* your eyes- I've heard this comment before; some people have ascribed it to too much processing in effects heavy scenes.

I don't have my copy yet, Target was out last night, and I'm too cheap to pay Blockbuster's prices

I originally saw TPM on what I believe was a 70mm print at the last really large screen theater in Denver. It was pretty dam* wow! (image quality) I subsequently saw it at a California Cineplex, and it was like going from HD to DSS. Very disappointing. I've also heard the DVD is a victim of edge enhancement in some scenes. Problem is, they may have been trying to clean up noise or grain in some parts (which takes filtering), and then edge enhanced to make it look sharp again on an average TV. Man, you run that through an HTPC on a high res monitor, and it's quite a disappointment. We'll see; I'll probably get a copy today or tomorrow. I also installed a new DVD player (Cineplayer 4.0 from Ravisent, who's the OEM behind Matrox's and ATI's players), so I'll have to recalibrate and check againts my reference DVDs. Speaking of reference DVDs, I'd better get a copy of the Superbit version of TFE. Another great looking disk is Waterworld; I just can't stand to watch it all that much!

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

I don't have TPM yet, but I will post my comments on the transfer after I see it.

Jon,
        You're in for a real treat with the Fifth Element Superbit.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Markj
          • Aug 2000

I watched this movie last night with my son. I donā€™t have a big screen TV so I canā€™t comment on the image quality but the sound was definitely soft. Setting my volume where I normally watch movies was not loud enough and had to punch it up a few clicks.

Comment

• Bing Fung
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2000

I have always like the Cineplayers! Fifth Element on Super bits? Looking forward to a comparision to the regular version.

Mark, I do agree, it seemed like I had to turn my set up by 2-3 notches as well, however I was not disapointed with the audio, rather I thought it was very powerfull, especially the LFE. I really liked the sound and effects of the laser swords :B

Bing
            Bing

Comment

• Markj
              • Aug 2000

Bing, I did like the sound like you said the swords and also the space ships going from back to front. I must admit that I got the movie for my son but I enjoyed it more seeing it at home than I did seeing at the theater.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2000

Audio wise I certainly enjoyed it more at home, still I'm very dissapointed with the image.

Bing
                Bing

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Well, I checked this out last night. I agree that a few scenes are soft. Most of the transfer was pretty spectacular though!

I also concur with the audio. While it is very good in dynamics, it was one of the few films I can watch at reference level, and not feel uncomfortable.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                  "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"