X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Blow has its moments...

In many respects this was an interesting film if the underbelly of the drug scene in the 70s and 80s intrigues you. There was certainly good acting here, especially by Johnny Depp, but I felt the filmaker was trying a little to hard to get sympathy for his lead character, particularly toward the end. I really have a hard time feeling any kind of compassion towards someone who chose the drug trade and quick riches at the expense of the users who became hooked on cocaine and the misery it brought to not only themselves, but their families as well. That aside, this is a well made movie with an excellent transfer. But it's not for everyone, and even though I purchased it, I really wonder if I'll ever watch it again.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

Yes, I had the same thoughts when I saw this in the theater.
    I didn't buy it because I would never watch it again.
    I think the big thing for me was seeing Traffic a couple weeks before this one. Since their both about drugs it's hard not to compare them...Traffic is a much better movie.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Agreed,Kenny.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I hopefully plan to see this one next week. When I saw the preview, I was intrigued.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Well, next week finally got here! :B

George,

Very accurate assessment of this movie. I really enjoyed it. But like you, I doubt that I would watch it again. Worth seeing though!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"