X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

Straight skinny on the new SEs

Well, in an earlier post I mentioned that alot of reviewers were not seeing much difference between the old transfers and the new...so I'm going to check each one out personally and let you know what I think.
    By the end of this weekend I'll have looked at Total Recall, American WW in London, and Basic Instinct.
    Tonight I watched Basic Instinct.
    I'm not sure why others are not seeing much difference, but here's what I saw:
    The old transfer has a good bit of red push that translates into faces that are, in many scenes orange, the new transfer still has some of this, but it's noticably better.
    The new transfer has alot less grain, which translates into a smoother looking picture.
    The new transfer is also noticably sharper, with better detail (that's the anamorphic enhancement)
    All in all on my system this was worth the 18 bucks to update.
    The packaging really stinks, I put the new disc in the old packaging.

Stay tuned I'll do the others within the next few days.
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Thanks for the preview Kenny.

I am looking forward to see if Total Recall is worth purchasing again.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Total Recall was one of the earlier dvds I purchased soon after dvd was the big thing.I recall at the time thinking the picture was amazing.I'll have to rewatch it and compare it to some of the newer titles today.Just the same, I'll be interested in hearing what Kenny finds out.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

George I agree with you. Like you, it was one of my first dvd's. While the picture is good for it's age, I don't think it compares to most of the newer releases. But of course, that's my opinion!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

I'm sure you're right,John.Other thing is, it wasn't an anamorphic title, like many of the early releases.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• KennyG
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2000

Watched Total Recall SE friday night, then spent a half an hour going through the old transfer.
            First let me say the old transfer is a very good one that is hard to improve upon.
            However, the new transfer has less grain and is sharper, these are not drastic differences, but they are noticable on a very large screen. (mine's 80" wide)
            Now the question is, will these differences be noticable on smaller screens? I'm not sure about that, like I said, this was already a very good transfer, now it's a very good anamorphic transfer, with slightly less grain, and slightly better detailed, sharper picture.
            The colors did not need improvement, and look the same, shadow detail is also the same.
            I would bet on a 60" or smaller video display there will be no noticable difference.

Comment

• KennyG
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2000

American Werewolf in London is somewhere between Basic Instinct and Total Recall.
              It's a bit more of a step up than Total Recall was.
              The transfer is sharper and more detailed, the shadow detail is also better. Color stays the same.
              I would think the improvements in this transfer could be noticed on any display device.
              In my mind easily worth the repurchase.

P.S. DTS soundtrack is nice too!!!

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"