The Wicker Man- after all these years...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

The Wicker Man- after all these years...

It is still one of the most frightening movies made.I last saw it on a late night tv movie a few years back, so it was wonderful to see it in widescreen.The documentary on the making of this film is also worth the 35 minutes or so it takes to view it.Apparently the film was all cut to hell and the feeling is, that even though the original negative was supposedly destoryed by mistake,the longer version is still out there somewhere.They talk about the missing scenes, and perhaps a few scenes deserved the cutting room floor, there was also much good stuff cut. Too bad. I would really love to see the longer version if it ever surfaces.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hmmm, never heard of this one. I'll have to check it out. I love horror!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• KennyG
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2000

John, this is not a horror movie.
      It's more of a mysterious, "in your mind" kinda thing...it's hard to explain.
      It is a very good movie, but it won't make you jump, nor will you ever want to close your eyes.
      The playoff comes at the end, and it's a good one.
      George, which version do you have? There are two, the single disc 88 minute version (theatrical cut) and the two disc set, one disc contains the 88 minute version (5.1 sound), and the second disc contains the longer 99 minute version (which is in mono)
      The 99 minute version IS better!!!
      However it's packaged in one of those silly, huge SE boxes that Anchor Bay seems to like so well.

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Thanks Kenny. Sounds interesting none the less. I will check it out.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

I have the 88 minute theatrical version,Kenny.Until you said otherwise, I wasn't aware there were two cuts available.Dammit, I had to drive all the way to Halifax (4 hours return) just to get this title. Now I have to make the trip again to get the longer version if someone there has it in stock. Thanks.

John, like Kenny says, this isn't a horror film in the usual sense of the word. It's hard to describe exactly what makes it so frightening, but I think it may have something do do with innocence and children. You'll see what I mean when you watch the film.It's worth owning, believe me.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I read the films profile last night on the Netflix site. Now I really want to see it. Netflix however, doesn't have the film so, I guess it's to a retail store I go!

Comment

• KennyG
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2000

George...isn't Halifax where the nice theaters are??? ...although there's not much out to recommend right now.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

There's a couple of nice theaters there, but there's also a lot of those crappy cineplexes. One I have been anxious to go to is IMAX. I've heard so much about the astounding presentation I just have to see it.

Getting back to Wicker Man, did you feel that religion is at the heart of this film, as it was in Rosemary's Baby ?

My Homepage!
                My Homepage!

Comment

• KennyG
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Sep 2000

Yes, I think religion is at the heart of this movie, and strangely, I'm not even sure it's satanism . It's something that required sacrifices, but I dont' think I ever heard satan mentioned once???

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"