X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Old news with a new twist! "Highlander"

We all know (and hated) the treatment this dvd received for both picture and sound.

I realized last night that I have never listened to this with THX processing. When I first watched it with an older non-THX Dolby Digital unit, it was difficult to enjoy (the sound was that bad).

Now I won't even begin to try to blow smoke and tell you that it was an "awesome" improvement. However, the added processing did employ more body and detail to the sound, with bass that was quite good. The shrillness had almost vanished and surround info was much more pronounced. While vocals still needed work, they were now tolerable. Strange enough, the soundtrack was incredible!

Highlander is still a sad DVD, but for those that are willing to play with some of their features, it can become watchable!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

At least Anchor Bay is going to redo this magnificant movie...at least that what was reported in the live chat on HTF

"MichaelFelsher
    Hello, currently we are beginning work on HIGHLANDER and I will mention
    that to our producers. We hope to have a nice edition of that in the Spring of next year.
    (THX, DTS 6.1, Dolby EX, etc)"

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I hope it happens. This is a movie that deserved better treatment for sure.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

It would really be a pleasure to have a new version of this with a clean, high res transfer, and better fidelity in the audio. Sigh.... is it too much to hope for? Another one rumored to be getting this treatment is Blade Runner. Though the original DVD release is Anamorphic, it's one of the fuzziest lowest res anamporhpic disks I've ever seen- I'd swear they had to have upconverted it from the master used for the laser disk! Now, that would be a real treat, too!

-Jon

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• KennyG
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2000

There was much talk about the new Blade Runner transfers coming out by year's end.
          There are supposed to be three versions, including one that is quite a bit longer than the original and the director's cut.
          I believe the new release will be a three disc set.

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Yes, Blade Runner could also use a redo for video. I am okay with it's sound but, if they added 5.1 or better I wouldn't complain!

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Kewl on Highlander. I always like the series and concept. Fact is, I first started out in the audio world online as "hilander" at Digital Theater, like 5-6 year ago maybe... There was a 8 character limit when that forum first opened.

Lex
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

ah yes old hilander..I remember those good old days

Comment

• P-Dub
                  Office Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

"Arhh, ever been to see Billy?"

I borrowed Highlander from a friend and was so disapointed with the picture, even on my 27" set, so I can not imagine how bad it would look on his 61" set. But to tell you the truth, as I got into the movie, I did not notice the poor transfer as much. Don't know if it's due to my small screen or the fact that I just got drawn into the movie.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
                  Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

I don't have Highlander on dvd. My copy is the 10th anniversary, director's cut Laserdisc. The picture on this disc is fine, but even though they claim a remnastered AC3 DD soundtrack, the sound is just too screechy. The Denon 3801 Cinema EQ helps tame the shrillness a bit, but I agree with everyone here, this movie deserves more work on the soundtrack.

My Homepage!
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

George,

You and I have the same laserdisc player. So if the re-mastered DVD doesn't show up, I'll see if I can find a copy on laser.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

John,
                        Good luck, but you know laserdics are getting pretty hard to dind these days.

My Homepage!
                        My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"