X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

Enemy at the Gates

This movie failed at the box office and I can tell you why...it's based on a true story, the story unfolds like fine wine, slow & easy, so the pacing is a bit slow, but alway interesting, it's very realistic and never over the top.
    This is a story of a Russian sharpshooter and his role, along with the Russian media in bringing hope to a failing war effort, add the German sharpshooter brought in to end the hopes of the Russians by killing their hero and you've got the basics for a fine story.
    With actors like Ed Harris, Jude Law, Joseph Fiennes, Bob Hoskins and a surprising Rachel Weisz (whom I'm not familiar with) you know your in for a well acted bit of drama...and more than anything this is a drama, it's just set during WWII
    Never over the top, always right on the mark, this is worth at least a rental, for me it was an easy buy.
    Another one of those "adult titles".

P.S. at this time I cannot comment on the transfer or the sound...boo...hoo...hoo...but after the HT is back up and running this will be the second movie I watch (15 minutes is the first)
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

The transfer is excellent, Kenny, though much is shot in dark areas. The sound will give your system a good workout.
    I watched this film last night and really liked it.I agree, there was good acting all around, but especially liked Ed Harris.
    There has been a lot of moaning at other sites regarding the love story. Many felt it could have been left out to help speed up the movie, but the people who defended Stalingrad were not just men, and when men and women come together, there's bound to be love of some sort. That's life.And in the case of Enemy At The Gates,life is shown as it was at a terrible time in history.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"