X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Susan
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

The Virgin Suicides

I know this was probably hashed out last year in HTF but see few signs of it in the newer forums...just wondered what you guys thought of this movie? Initially I walked away with a "WHY?????" in my brain, like, "why was this even made???"...but the more I chew on it, I realize that men may very well be entranced with the theme..the unobtainable beautiful mysterious blonde girls...the deaths making them even more mysterious and martyred, etc...

I mostly enjoyed the trip down "70's memory lane" (the boyfriend's wig was actually quite good..) and when the adult version of the boyfriend was being "interviewed" from his rehab institution I kept looking at his face wondering why he looked so familiar..and finally it ocurred to me that it was Michael Pare!!!!(See George's thread "We Need Action..."

Im glad I waited 22 hours to post something, as now I realize it's a different sort of movie..one of those that makes you think, so no matter how repugnant or disturbing the actual plot may be to you, if it makes you think, can it be all bad??? To say that a movie was entertaining does not necessarily mean that it made you laugh...I didn't find this laughable but a twisted dose of nostalgia.

What did you think of it?
    Susan
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

I saw this awhile back, and all I can remember was walking away thinking the same thing you did...why???
    For some reason I just didn't care about this movie, and so have never returned to it.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Unlike Kenny, I want to revisit this film.I too came away somewhat puzzled, but the more I thought about things, the more I liked the movie.I particularly felt that Mr. Coppola's daughter did an excellent job directing this film. A big job on such a sensitive subject from such a young ( and first time ? ) director. I also felt the performances by James Woods and Kathleen Turner were excellent. And yes, Susan, I too didn't recognize Michael Pare at first.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

I never saw it myself. Based upon the reaction here, I would probably be saying Why! why!

Nice to see you back at the Guide Susan.

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"