• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Anyone familiar with this title ?

Who'll Stop The Rain.
    It was released theatrically in 1978 and just recently came out on DVD. It is about two ex-Vietnam vets involved in drug dealing problems and stars Nick Nolte, Michael Moriarity and Tuesday Weld, along with Anthony Zerbe playing a nasty cop. I loved it when I saw it in the theater and believe I rented it on tape a few years ago.The problem is with the transfer. The DVD is an MGM release and is non-anamorphic. The first part of the movie takes place in Vietnam and on the ocean. This portion is almost unviewable. The picture is ultra soft and dark. When the movie switches to the US the picture sharpens up and is acceptable for the rest of the movie.
    Maybe I'm just getting old, but I don't recall the soft picture start to this movie in the theater. I suppose it's possible it was filmed this way to show a stark contrast between Vietnam and the US. Anyone remember this film ? If the movie isn't shot soft at the beginning on purpose,then I have a defective disc. I'd sure like to know.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

dble post

Comment

• KennyG
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2000

I believe I have seen this once, or twice, but can be of no help, it was long ago and I just don't remember much about it. I always try to give Nolte's movies a look.
      I'm glad you posted this, I had this on my wish list, it will now come off.
      As with many MGM titles this is probably a LD transfer taken straight to DVD. These guys just don't get it.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Yeah, I think you are right,Kenny. It does have that soft LD look even with the acceptable portion on my dvd.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Kenny,
          I found the answer over at HTT. One of the threads that responded to my question referred to a review link of this title. It's just a damn poor overall transfer by MGM. What a pity. This movie is a true classic and shows us what we can expect from Nick Nolte in later years.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"