X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

Akira

Just watched the new THX certified transfer of Akira...in fact this is the first time I've ever seen this movie.
    Wow, it's very good, normally I'm not much on anime, I've seen many, but I own very few.
    This is a good story, with excellent dream and hallucination sequences. It's easy to tell a lot of imagination and thought went into this.
    It's a human experiment gone wrong type story, but it makes you work to understand all that is going on.
    The transfer is a mixed bag.
    Several good points, the colors pop of the screen, and the image is very detailed...however, there is alot of edge enhancement used on bodies and faces. Depending on your video display system this may or may not be noticeable. Some say they don't see it, some see a little, I saw it in almost every frame. BUT if you can focus on the overall image and not specific lines the picture is very good.
    Sound is 5.1 and has a new english dub. I found this dub is be better than most of the "kiddie sounding" dubs that many anime titles have.

System reviewed on htpc 1280X720 @ 96hz refresh rate, NEC xg110LC projector, custom 80" wide screen.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I'm not much into anime either, but you've piqued my interest in this title. Think I'll try to rent it.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"