X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

America's Sweethearts- whose movie?

I saw this movie this weekend. I've seen a few different reviews by people, some not all that hot (B-, C+) discussing this as "the new Julia Roberts Movie". And then they complain about how small a role Julia Roberts had in this movie.

Reality reset time, folks. Julia Roberts is not necessarily "the star" of every movie she's in. Ever heard of the concept "ensemble cast"?

This movie was produced by Billy Crystal. It is very, no, *extremely* funny. It has more really good one liners than an average season of Hollywood movies lately.

My take on it is this: "America's Sweethearts" is the biggest, most mainstream John Cusack movie made to date. Large supporting cast of well known actors, type cast superbly for their roles. Supporting performances in some cases which would carry lesser movies on their own (Billy Crystal, Catherine Zeta Jones). Christopher Walken as a Kubrick like eccentric director. Julia Roberts as a duck turned swan. Stanley Tucci as the producer from hell, eptimozing all the sleeeze and greed of Hollywood.

But, it's *NOT* the new "Julia Roberts" movie, in the sense that, at it's time, "Erin Brochovich" was the new Julia Roberts movie.

And that is good.

BTW, in case you hadn't figured this out, I enjoyed it a lot. Even persuaded a friend to watch "Grosse Point Blank" later in the weekend to see another John Cusack movie.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

I need more comedy, so I thank you for this review.
    I'll add 2 cents once I've watched it

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"