X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

BLACK ROBE

Let me start by saying I have only seen this movie once, about 7 or 8 years ago...it has stuck with me ever since.
    Today I saw it for the second time. I will not wait so long to see it again.
    It's the story of white religion in the form of a French missionary, and his belief, his grief, and his humanity.
    At the same time it's an honest look at a different belief system, through a different people, and a different humanity.
    We come to understand a little of the human nature, and the spiritual, of the northern tribes in Canada, mostly the Algonquin.
    The cinematography is outstanding, the acting never faulters, and is aways realistic.
    I put this squarely in the same class as Last of the Mohicans...maybe better.
    I'd love to see someone like Criterion get ahold of this title...not that this transfer is bad, it's quit watchable, but it does get alittle soft at times, and a few times fleshtones were not as I thought they should have been. Taken as a whole the transfer is good.
    The soundtrack is servicable, dialog is clear throughout, and the "stereo surround" is there when needed, but nothing else...as it should be with a story of this calibre.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I know I've seen this film but I can't remember when or where.When was this released originally ? Also, who are the actors, Kenny?

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• KennyG
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2000

It came out in 91, and the ownly name I recognize is the director Bruce Beresford.
      The stars include names like: Lothaire Bluteau, August Schellenberg, Aden Young...
      Like I said I didn't recognize the nam, but they are all excellent, don't miss this!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Thanks, Kenny.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"