X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Robbie
    • Aug 2000

Forbidden Planet

Does anyone know if there is there any difference between the MGM and Warner versions of the DVD. The only difference I can find is the Warner remixed it in DD 5.1 (I didn't see where the MGM was done in 5.1) Both versions have P&S and WS versions. Is one transfer better than another?

As a side question, how does a move get released by two different companies???

Thanx in advance

Robbie
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I have the MGM dvd that was released late 1997 or early 1998. It is not anamorphic, though, and if the Warner dvd is anamorphic, then I'd buy it.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Robbie
      • Aug 2000

George,

I looked at mine and it's a Warner. Copyright 1999. Guess Warner (Turner) bought the rights to Forbidden Planet. I checked the box and all it says is "Presented in Widescreen Format Preserving..." My TV wouldn't know an anamorphic movie if I threw it through it's picture tube so I can't help you there.

Robbie

Comment

• KennyG
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2000

It's been awhile, but as I recall this is just a repackaging, the disc has not be remastered...yet.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Now this is one in definite need of remastering.I wouldn't mind a special edition,either. Anne Francis and Leslie Neilsen are still around for commentary.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• KennyG
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2000

George, I second that, a Forbidden Planet SE would be excellent! I have not seen this on my projector yet, just how bad is this transfer?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

I've seen worse nonanamorphic transfers,Kenny.But I wouldn't buy this if there's a chance a remastered version is in the offing, because with your gear and a big screen, you will probably find this picture to appear a little soft, like most nonanamorphic pics do. One thing I can say, it is not as good as the Armageddon nonA dvd.

My Homepage!
              My Homepage!

Comment

• KennyG
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Sep 2000

Actually a little softness doesn't bother me that much, what really get to me is complete loss of shadow detail and correct flesh tones.
                Many times you just have to look at the age of the movie (Forbidden planet...1956?) and let it go.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"