X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rcovell
    • Dec 2002

Newbie Question re: banana plugs

Hey guys and girls-
    I just became an 'official' member of Club Rotel with my purchase of an RSX 1055 and an RX 1050. The options are incredible, so I'll have to sit down and study for a while, I did get the clock on the remote set, whoppee!

Now, for my question: The most trouble I had in the hookups was connecting my stranded speaker wires to the speaker terminals. The old connectors had holes through the posts where the wire was inserted before tightening the screw cap. What's the prevailing thought on using banana plugs? Sorry, I didn't search the archives or for other posts on this. I read somewhere that bananas were not considered an audiophile quality connection, but, it doesn't seem to me that that would be much difference.

My systems are modest ones using stranded copper wire, larger size where appropriate, not just lamp wire from Home Depot. I'm not ready to invest in premium speaker cables yet, so will banana plugs provide the convenience, secure connection and reasonable transfer of signal for me? I appreciate your thoughts and reasoning. Bob.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

I would have no problem using banana jacks, Rotel even included them on my RMB-1066..

I'm in the camp that thinks there's more snake oil out there than sound enhancing products.. That said, I would prefer locking banana plugs or spade connecters better..

Kevin D.

Comment

• garethk
      • Dec 2002

Hi Bob

I am currently using banana connectors for both the speaker side and the amp side of my system for all 6 speakers.

I am running monster cable MCX .5i Bi-wire cable and for me, I have not noticed any differance between banana plugs and just screwing the cable down. It sounds the same both ways.
      Using banana plugs however is so much more convienient.

I have also listened to Monsters banana plugs and the cheap radio shack type connectors and on my system i cant hear any differance.

I am using the rsp 1066 the rmb976mkII and B&W 603's and an LCR600 for centre.

IMHO i think that bi-wireing makes more of a differance in a system than the type of connectors used.

Chow

GarethK
      GarethK

Comment

• Rcovell
        • Dec 2002

garethk
        Thanks for the info, it's helpful when someone has tried different configurations in a comparison to find out what works and what doesn't. Especially with pricey little items like inter-connect cables, speaker wire and connectors. I figured I'd look for some quality gold plated bananas and use them at the receiver end.

BTW-In the audio room, with the new RX 1050, I had tried bi-wiring a while back, using the old receiver (a Denon), and I couldn't tell any difference, so I disconnected the extra wire, put the jumpers back on, and still couldn't tell any difference, so I left it off.

Reminds me of laboring over a decision of paint selection only subtle shades apart, once you get one of them home, you never know the difference. I guess I'm not that refined to be able to tell the difference on some of these things. Thanks for the input.

Bob

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"