X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Cast Away is terrific

I am probably the only non-Tom Hanks fan in the world, but I had to admit he did a tour de force in Cast Away and I am starting to think maybe I was being unfair to some of his other work. I never felt he wasn't a good actor, I just felt that some of the roles he played would have been just a good with other actors replacing him, and felt he was over-hyped.
    Anyway he was hot in Cast Away. This movie was 143 minutes and was the fastest 143 minutes I can remember.The transfer was gorgeous, but I was disappointed to learn that there was a lot of CGI used, especially when it came to the white breakers over the reef.The first part of the film was almost like an overlong commercial for FED-EX, but once you are on that ill-fated plane, things really happen.
    You really have to own this baby. It bears repeated watching.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

I was just coming in to say the same thing!
    This is a great movie, Hanks sure can pick them.
    As always Helen Hunt is excellent in her role.
    Heck even Wilson did a good job, Zemekis got the most out of him!
    I stayed away from this at the theater, I figured it'd be the kind of movie that must be watched in silence with full concentration...I was right.

A "musbuy"

Comment

• KennyG
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2000

P.S. yes George, you are the only non-Tom Hanks fan.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

I thought so.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• KennyG
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2000

I'll tell you what, I couldn't normally do this but...here's what you need to do: See this movie once, then go here http://www.hometheatertalk.com/ubb/F...000637.html#26 This is the best discussion I've seen on this movie...Mike knows this movie.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Yeah, that is really an interesting discussion.The other thing I should say is that I have changed my opninion of Tom Hanks after this film. When an actor can carry (pretty much, anyway ) an entire movie and you find that the movie passes quickly, then you have to admire the guy. To be honest, I started questioning my assessment of the guy after Saving Private Ryan.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• KennyG
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2000

I started to take Hanks seriously when I saw Philadelphia...then Forrest Gump and Apollo 13 cemented it!
              Philadelphia floored me...

Comment

• Susan
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Ah George...it does me wee heart good to see you come to your senses!!

Tom Hanks is a national treasure..and will be as dear to us as we age as was Jimmy Stewart in that he has an every-man credibility, and a beautiful humanity about him. He somehow translates his emotions across without histrionics, and never falls back on his laurels like he could at this point. Add to that his recently exquisite taste in picking scripts and stories (no more Volcanoes or Bonfires) and he becomes irresistable...yum, yum.

OK...I admit it..My name is Susan and I am a Hankoholic...

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

I agree, simply an outstanding movie. It was a bit slow at times. But kept me with it the whole way. What if, there had been someone else that survived. Could that have made it actually more interesting, with more interaction than just Wilson?

Susan, said it pretty well except for the yum yum, lol. He's a heckova likable chap and a great actor.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                  Doug
                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

And very, very rich.

My Homepage!
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• KennyG
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Sep 2000

No, I actually think it's better with just one survivor, to add another is just to easy.
                      Having wilson as a mirror to himself was all this story needed...IMHO

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"