Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Lord of the Rings news

'Lord Of Rings' gets reworked opening

By PAUL CANTIN
    Senior Reporter, JAM! Showbiz
    The much-anticipated first film of the "Lord Of The Rings" series has received an 11th-hour new opening, and technical snags have forced the actors to re-record much of the dialogue, according to actor Ian McKellan.

McKellan, who plays Gandalf in director Peter Jackson's movie version of J.R.R. Tolkien's fantasy classic, details in his online diary (www.mckellan.com) that the film's original prologue has been dumped.

"Its original prologue has been abandoned and the backstories of Isildur and of Smeagol, who both found and lost the Ring, are now to be told once Bilbo, the adventurer from Tolkien's 'The Hobbit', has been introduced," McKellan says in the diary.

The first part of the trilogy, which will be released as "The Fellowship Of The Ring," is due to be handed in to studio executives in June. It is set to open in December.

A sneak peek at the film caused a sensation when it was recently shown at the Cannes film festival, but McKellan says the film is still very much a work-in-progress.

"Gandalf's arrival in Hobbiton for Bilbo's 111th birthday party of magnificence now opens the movie just as it opens the first book, but it has been expanded to help with the exposition. Hence the need for extra filming," he says of the new opening.

McKellan says the original prologue, which greeted viewers with a "stash of names and facts," would have unnerved the audience, and he endorses the new introduction.

Meanwhile, McKellan says many of the scenes shot at a New Zealand studio have had to be re-dubbed because of poor audio quality.

"The Wellington film studios not being soundproofed, almost all of the dialogue has had to be replaced," he writes.

Despite the last-minute tinkering, McKellan did provide some tantalizing indications of what viewers should expect.

"At the end of this first film, Frodo and Sam are separated from the rest and row across the river, destination Mount Doom -- on even a scratchy video, (actors) Elijah Wood and Sean Astin are heart-breaking and couldn't be better -- I thought."

He also sat in on a scoring session with composer Howard Shore, and had this to say about the combined power of the film's audio and visuals.

"I sat behind Peter Jackson, huddled over a monitor showing the footage of Sam and Frodo in their rowboat. As the majestic 'Fellowship' theme soared over the pictures and a plaintive flute and drums enchanted the ear, I heard and saw the first moment of completed film," McKellan writes.

"Trust me: it is magnificent."

• KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

This looks like it's going to be good, I hope it's great! I just hope they don't overtinker...

Comment

• Robbie
      • Aug 2000

The most anticipated movie of the year IMO... Can't wait. I usually only see one or two movies a year in the theater, I think this is the one.

Robbie

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

This movie will likely get me into the cinema for the first time in over 14 years. It will definitely be a DVD buy when it is released.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"