X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

the Sand Pebbles

Oh yeah, I have waited a long time for this excellent bit of story telling, and the wait has been worth it!
    It's the story of an american gun boat that gets caught in the middle of China's civil war, mix in the correct amount of drama and romance, and you have one for the ages.
    Fox has done a nice job with this transfer, there is a slight amount of edge enhancement here and there but nothing to distract from the movie. The fleshtones are correct, colors well saturated.
    The soundtrack is good, but nothing more, it's 4.0 surround, and in a couple spots things get alittle muddy, but all in all not bad.
    If you want a realistic story, that is interesting from start to finish this is a classic. It's a situation driven story with a couple of memorable characters (Mcqueen and Crenna) In Holman's case (Mcqueen) you're trying to figure out if he's a rebel, or just a guy with alot of backbone...in Crenna's case (captain of the boat) you wonder if he's a great speaker of heroics, or if his actions can back up his speeches.
    As aways Robert Wise created a winner!
    Can't recommend this one high enough!
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Glad to hear you liked this film,Kenny. It is one of my favorites. I had it on VHS for many years, then a few years ago it came out on laserdisc in widescreen and I bought it.This is a movie I watch a lot, drinking in all the terrific performances by McQueen and company.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• KennyG
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2000

At one time I also owned the LD, but I can't remember just how good the transfer was, plus at that time my video display was quite different...but I do believe this is the best it's ever looked!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

When Sand Pebbles was first released on LD it was a pan & scan. Later the widescreen came out which I bought. The transfer is okay, but I doubt if it is near as good as the dvd.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"