X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Semi-Tough Not A Classic, but...

I haven't seen this film since its release in 1977. It is not a classic, but stars Burt Reynolds and Kris Kristoferson when they were near the top of their game.Though it has a football background, there isn't that much of the sport on screen, and when it is, it isn't handled well, compared to some recent football flicks like On Any Given Sunday.So don't buy or rent it for the football stuff- it's really a story of two guys and a girl,their long standing relationship, and how that changes during the course of the film.
    My only complaint here is with MGM. I just love the fact they are releasing some of their great oldies, but Semi-Tough is not enhanced for 16:9 tvs, so the picture is not what it could be.
    Anyway, the movie brought back some pleasant memories so I'm not goping to complain too loud.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

I may revisit this at some time, but it'll be from the bargain bin...I'm simply staying away from anything widescreen that's not enhanced.
    Yesterday I had, in my hand, a classic MGM title that just got released (can't think of the name right now) but saw it as non-enhanced and put it back...I"m not buying anymore of their LD transfers.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Maybe if enough of us did that MGM would get the point. Doubt it, though. It's just that they have so many great titles in their vault. I must say, I stayed away from Elmer Gantry,though. This IS a classic and deserves a decent transfer.I'll live with it on tape until MGM wakes up and releases an enhanced copy. That'll probably be when we find snowballs in hell.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"